• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What metafolin do you take?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm currently taking Solgar 800 mcg but I'm looking for one with higher dosage that might be more cost effective as I increase my dosage.

What are you guys using?

PeterPositive

I take Solgar's Metafolin. Around 1600mcg.

Over the counter supplements are not allowed to contain more than 1000mcg of active folate. I don't know what people taking Deplin-like doses do, I imagine they either get an Rx from their docs or they swallow 15+ tablets a day.

I've tried Seeking Health's sublingual Quatrefolic but it overdrives me pretty quickly. 1000mcg is enough to make me feel very amped-up. I have no idea why.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I didn't know that about the 1000 mcg limit. I'm currently taking the 800 mcg Solgar but they have a 1000 mcg.

I think I looked at the Quatrefolic. If I'm limited to 1000 mcg then I'll stick with Solgar. I think cost wise it is better.

Did you see the Life Extension?

I have a doc appt on the 11th so I'll ask her then how much she wants me to take. Are you taking LCF? I'm at 250 mgs right now.

ahmo

@minkeygirl I used Life Extension for 1mg (1000mcg) dosages, now use Thorne for 5mg. There is no price difference in these 2 for 5mg doses, comes to nearly $1/dose. I choose caps over tablets for ease of swallowing.

When I was working my way up, I used Solagar 800mcg tablets which I could easily split into 4, to increase my dosages in 200mcg increments.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I was comparing the Life Extension and the solgar 1000 mcg. I have to see. What thorne 5mg? @PeterPositive said 1000 mcg is the highest.

Yes I agree, caps much better. I started with the Solgar the same reason you did.

ahmo

Thorne makes 5mg MTHF. It's the exact same as Metafolin. I added that in to indicate that 5mg caps are no cheaper than taking 5x 1mg caps, so I expect there are no price differences in the other dosages.

ahmo

You're nowhere needing 5mg. You'll have to work up slowly, and it's best taken in divided doses, 2-3 times a day. So 100mcg will be best for you for some time.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I thought you said 1 mg. I like to know what is available for when I need it.

I'll let my doctor tell me how much she wants me to take and how to take it.

PeterPositive

Thorne makes 5mg MTHF. It's the exact same as Metafolin. I added that in to indicate that 5mg caps are no cheaper than taking 5x 1mg caps, so I expect there are no price differences in the other dosages.
Interesting!
According to their page they are using a new (at least for me :) ) form called Extrafolate made by Gnosis in Italy, which also makes Quatrefolic.

http://www.thorne.com/Products/Circulatory-Support/Cardiovascular_Health/prd~B132.jsp

The 1000mcg limit is something Dr. Ben Lynch mentioned in one of his videos when talking about supplements. Maybe something's changed.