• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What kind of Magnesium best

Deltrus

I use magnesium citrate and it works well. For magnesium it is very important to split up the doses to 100 mg at a time and take them throughout the day. If you take too much at once then the small intestine can't absorb it fast enough and magnesium then causes diarrhea in the large intestine. 400 mg is a good maintenence dose of magnesium, but higher doses are possible if you are deficient. Also high b6, and vitamin d levels are absolutely essential for magnesium absorption.

I also used the liquid elemental magnesium, I found that it absorbed much quicker. It is a bit more expensive though.

I use magnesium citrate and it works well. For magnesium it is very important to split up the doses to 100 mg at a time and take them throughout the day. If you take too much at once then the small intestine can't absorb it fast enough and magnesium then causes diarrhea in the large intestine. 400 mg is a good maintenence dose of magnesium, but higher doses are possible if you are deficient. Also high b6, and vitamin d levels are absolutely essential for magnesium absorption.

I also used the liquid elemental magnesium, I found that it absorbed much quicker. It is a bit more expensive though.

Hey do you have any experience on this?How much should I wait between each dosage?I tried chellated magnesium from solgar , it seemed to work in start but then it caused me diarhhea.I was taking 400mg(4 tablets) every few hours.
How do you know the intestines cant absorb more than 100 mg at a time?

Shoshana

Northern USA
400mg every 4 hours seems too high to me. And that it caused diarrhea would also indicate it was too much.

Also, I am told that magnesium citrate is actually a better one for countering constipation,

while I am told that magnesium taurate is better for muscles, pain, etc..... and that info seems correct for me, from my own trials.

If I couldn't find it, I would also think mag malate or glycinate or chelate are worth a try.

That liquid form mentioned above sound like a good option to try, especially for people who cant swallow large tablets.

Any type is easier for the body to use, than the cheapest form which is easiest to find, the most common one in stores, but not helpful, is magnesium oxide. I personally would not take anything with it.

Added note: I agree with next post that mag taurate might help with sleep. Many minerals (calcium, magnesium... ) are often split during day doses, but weighted to take more of the daily dose, later in day, for that reason, to aid sleep.

Last edited:

Tammy

I take Magnesium Glycinate . Generallly I take 240 mg in the a.m.............and 240 mg in the p.m.

Ema

I use Ease spray. It’s the only one that doesn’t sting me.

I’ve also done mag sulfate in the nebulizer a la Myhill.