• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is your normal temperature?

Hutan

I measured my oral temperature first thing each morning for several months. The thermometer's use instructions gave 36.4 to 37.2 degrees Celsius as the normal range.

My temperatures were in the 35.7 to 36.4 degree range - so consistently a bit lower than the low end of normal. Lower temperatures correlated with worse OI (higher heart rate after standing, larger increase in heart rate from supine to standing, narrower pulse pressure) and with a larger number, and more severe, symptoms.

Low (peripheral?) temperatures do seem to be very common in ME. But I haven't been able to find any good studies reporting that. There was one in 1998 I think that found that core body temperature was normal - but it only had 7 people with CFS and no doubt the selection criteria were very loose.

It would be good to see more temperature measurements done and reported in studies including prospective trials following people diagnosed with a common ME trigger such as glandular fever.

Last edited:

Dechi

36.3 celcius for me. I had never taken it before. I suppose this is a little low.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
My temperature varies between 36.2 - 36.9 Celsius throughout the day, measured with an under the tongue digital thermometer.

In my first years with CFS I would often get what I thought of as a series mini-flu episodes, where I would have flu-like symptoms for six hours or so, along with a higher temperature. Then my body switched over to the state where I haven't had a real flu since 2004 or a cold since 2007. It's only the past few years that I've known to check my body temps and see that they fluctuate.

Mel9

My temperature varies between 36.2 - 36.9 Celsius throughout the day, measured with an under the tongue digital thermometer.

In my first years with CFS I would often get what I thought of as a series mini-flu episodes, where I would have flu-like symptoms for six hours or so, along with a higher temperature. Then my body switched over to the state where I haven't had a real flu since 2004 or a cold since 2007. It's only the past few years that I've known to check my body temps and see that they fluctuate.

Our low temperatures might be associated eith the Dauer state?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Our low temperatures might be associated with the Dauer state?

I would think that a slow down in metabolism (Dauer-like state) would also lead to lower body heat production.

I used to have so little body heat that I could sit on a couch for an hour, stand up, and the couch cushions wouldn't have any residual heat (they wouldn't feel warm at all). I have more body heat now (approx. 6 years later) but I still have low body temps and need extra clothing to try to stay warm.

Antares in NYC

Between 96.8 and 97.5F on a regular day.
Anything above that and I feel feverish, which confuses my doctors when I tell them I'm running a fever with chills and sweats but the thermometer barely raises above 99F.

frog_in_the_fog

Test Subject
Mine is 97.5 F most of the time. I read fluctuations in body temperature can indicate thyroid issues. I have thyroid issues but I have not noted any significant variation in my temperature.

I run hotel. Sometimes I get very hot without excertion. I'm post menopausal by the way and hot flushes have ceased. X

sorin

With the electronic thermometer I never know what is the real value of my fever... The producer mentions an error range of about 1.5 degrees Celsius, so when that shows 36.5 I may have 38 or 35... I miss the old mercury thermometers that were far more accurate.

Helen

Which one, the classic one or the electronic one?
I only know about the classic one, and that one is said to be the most valid thermometre after the mercury ones. I think you may find facts about how valid it is in numbers on their homepage.