• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is your maternal Haplogroup?

What is my maternal Haplogroup from 23 and Me?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

• C

• D

• E

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • F

• G

• H

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • I

• J

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • K

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • T

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • U

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • V

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • W

• X

• Y

• Z

• Other

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

ukxmrv

Sorry, I can't type all of them in as poll options (too many for the website). Sorry!

This is not a public poll so your name will not appear when you vote.

Maybe we'll see something here?

Firestormm

ukxmrv Thanks for bumping. I have to ask what it is you are talking about and if it is only relevant to people who have taken a test (?) with 23 and ME?

n.b. there's a spelling mistake in your thread title - don't know if this is affecting feedback.

ukxmrv

It's under the "genetic testing and snps" heading. Not sure what is the problem Firestormm? Sorry I am too foggy brained to do any better. Hope that's OK? If someone wants to start a better version of this poll I'm not worried.

bel canto

Firestormm - as the maternal haplogroup is based on mitochondria (mtdna) inherited from our mothers, maybe a poll would be informative in that the haplogroups differ in mututations. And maybe mito mutations can affect energy production.

ukxmrv- is that it, or is that something else?

I've wondered whether children of women with me/cfs are more likely to also be affected than children of men with me/cfs, as the former would share the mtdna and the latter would not. Never heard that anyone has looked into it.

ukxmrv

Thanks Firestormm and Bel Canto,

I was just thinking of the mitochondria connections to ME and CFS. Most families I know with children affected have the mother with ME. That is probably just a coincidence but the 23 and ME data was all I could think of to poll on.

There may be specific SNP's but I haven't got that far yet.

Critterina

D4e1, but I don't have CFS. DO you still want me to participate in the poll? No CFS in my family, either.
I would love to be in contact with some of my maternal haplogroup relatives, so PM me if you're D4e1 please!

JaimeS

I'm very interested in this! It's important though to compare to the worldwide averages...

Haplogroup H is by far the most common all over Europe, amounting to about 40% of the European population. It is also found (though in lower frequencies) in North Africa, the Middle East, Central Asia, Northern Asia, as well as along the East coast of Africa as far as Madagascar.

I think the majority of us here are from Europe, N. America, and Australia, so the H haplogroup would appear to be about at the right percentage...

I'd be interested in a poll that narrowed it down a bit. I'm H3, which is less common. It's kind of hard to reach significance when there are so many groups and subgroups and not thousands of people, though. ;)

-J

Here's the tally from the 54 ME/CFS patients (with PEM) who I have 23andMe data for:
  • D5a - 1
  • H (no subgroup) - 2
  • H1 (no subgroup) - 3
  • H1b - 2
  • H1c - 4
  • H2a - 3
  • H3h - 3
  • H5k - 1
  • H6a - 1
  • H13a - 1
  • H16 - 1
  • H18 - 1