• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is the mechanism of feeling tired but not being able to sleep?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I am taking one 500mg acetyl carnitine daily (as well as Q10, B12, methylfolate, melatonin and currently testing Ribose).
I plan to try 2 tablets in the future once i get though my ribose testing and perhaps a few others i have planned.

AlwaysTired

Yes I've been experiencing exactly this. Feeling really tired at 8pm, so I would go to bed, and within half an hour wide awake and unable to fall asleep. It started as a reversal of cortisol release (delayed sleep phase disorder) then progressed to perpetually spiked cortisol, so I couldn't sleep once morning came or get adequate sleep at night either.

Tried so many things and most did little to nothing or side effects were so bad it wasn't worth it (trazadone, various strong otc sleep aids).

I've been doing chanting meditation for the past two days and it has helped a lot. I just posted about it if you want to know more: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...chanting-meditation-curing-my-insomnia.53111/

gettinbetter

This seems a common problem here

The more I overdo in a day, the more trouble I have going to sleep--I can 100% count on it
Me too
I find that that when I overdo ii I get sleepy later and later

definitely think it's linked to adrenal fatigue, especially because of how many people link the issue to increased heart rate (I have a lot of trouble getting to sleep with a racing POTS heart) as a result of the sympathetic nervous system being overly active/out of wack and producing cortisol and adrenaline at all the wrong times.

i think it is too because ashwaganda and DHEA helps me to sleep and I believe these lower cortisol levels
The other things to help me go to sleep are
Rena Food Rena Food by standard process
Magnesium
staying topped of with B12 Hydroxo
Regular exercise aerobic (Light when I feel up to it )
Gaba
Big meal at beginning of day and snack before bed
Ambien and quetiapine
There are other things I have tried too but I still have difficulty going to sleep
I am trying to strengthen the adrenals too by using Wilsons Adrenal Rebuilder and Liver
vitamin C Pantothetic acid
This biggest help is reducing bacterial load using antibiotics Herbs and Thyme essential oil

I am interested in how other here improve sleep and if that is related to strengthening adrenals ?

Even when I do sleep it is not restful sleep

Last edited:
I think we call that 'wired but tired' Its really common with ME/CFS. LDN helped for me.

Wired and tired, yes What is LDN?

I've tried everything. I was also wondering about that 5HTP or whatever it is. I have some, don't know how to use it.

hamsterman

Wired and tired, yes What is LDN?

I've tried everything. I was also wondering about that 5HTP or whatever it is. I have some, don't know how to use it.

Low Dose Naltrexone. 1.5 mgs per day. It helped me significantly. I think about half the people who've tried it say it helps with sleeping. It also helped me with brainfog during the day.