• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is the mechanism by which paracetamol improves sleep?

45+ old male sleep maintenance issues for couple of years resolved by fixing the basics- blacked out room, avoiding alcohol and coffee having the biggest effect. Still even if I am able to sleep 8 hours the sleep is not as restorative as I would expect.

Recently I have noted that 500mg paracetamol (tylenol, acetaminophen ) result in truly excellent restorative sleep.

My question is: what could be the mechanism involved? What hormones are affected by paracetamol that have relevance to sleep?

I would like to modify my diet/lifestyle further to get this type of sleep without the drug.
Normal weight, fighting mild gastrointestinal and dermatological issues that indicate autoimmunity and allergies, on paleo diet since 6 years if that is in any way relevant. I have no pain the drug would help me with.

Skippa

Anti-BS
Don't know, but, since paracetamol is an excellent antipyretic, maybe it does something to regulate temperature "down" to a perfect sleep level?

hixxy

Paracetamol desensitises TRPA1 calcium channels. There is some evidence that TRPA1 could play a role in some psychiatric disorders so I guess it could also play a role in some sleep disorders.

I know of an immunologist who prescribes it as part of treating mast cell disorders as well because of the role of TRPA1 in some mast cell disorders.