• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is the lowest amount of B12 you have heard of people starting with?

boo85

I wonder... if one can only tolerate a few mcgs of B12, wouldn't it be better to increment the food with high B12 instead of struggling with supplements?

Beef has 5-6mcg (per 100g) and fish like mackarel has almost 20mcg. If one likes/can have clams... they mother nature's methyl-B12 supplements. (~ 100mcg) :)

This has worked for me. If you can stomach liver and seafood. It would cause my symptoms to go away for a few days and my mood would lift considerably. However, it made me feel really really sick trying to eat that food. And being low on B12 made my appetite go away even more.

In times past, before supplements, raw liver milkshakes were one way to get B12 back up. Can't imagine it would taste good, but it would have gotten the job done.

I could not tolerate even 1mcg of B12 from supplements. For the first couple years, I took clam juice, 1/2 teaspoon per day, which is about 1mcg but gentler on my body. I just recently graduated to 1mcg of B12 from supps.

@Caladonia, too, had to start very low, IIRC. She has an excellent writeup in her sig file.

Nila, you mention clam juice. Does clam juice really have true B12 in it? How were you able to verify this, and, did it increase your B12 levels? I can not tolerate any B12 supplements whatsoever, but clam juice is somewhat bearable, as far as bodily reactions, and drinking an ounce of it increases my mood for the better.

NilaJones

@Michelle Choi
I don't have proof for anything, just my huge improvement :).

According to published data, clams are very high in B12 and, in a can, most of the B12 is in the juice. I have not tested the Trader Joe clams I use. I have not tried 'clam stock'. Crab works for me, though, and liver. My sibling found sardines worked.

IIUC, B12 testing in people is not reliable.

Can you eat cooked greens or broccoli for folate?

Sorry terse -- hand pain.

Yeah, I am assuming the "clam juice" products also would have B12. The clam juice is just the juice that was inside the clam shell, like ocean water of sorts. I am not referring to the juices inside of canned clam products. And neither am I referring to the juice in clam stock, as this juice is the juice that is the result of cooking clams, shells, etc. and coming up with a "stock juice" that is canned and sold, without actual clams. The clam juice that people buy for marinades and such is simply the liquid that was inside the actual clam shell. And this is what I am hoping has good B12.

My serum folate level is sky high, and I eat lots of steamed broccoli. Lots of fruits as well that are high in folate.
Fish and shellfish cause me brain fog, big time. So that is why I am going with the juice only of clams. All fish and shellfish keep me up all night long. Even the clam juice can keep me awake through the night, and I do not like this, but I need the B12. All complete meat dairy egg fish proteins I am intolerant to for brain fog/insomnia issues, mind racing, hyper.

Last edited:

NilaJones

That juice sounds good to try! Do u have a link or name brand?

Take it in the morning to limit insimnia. And take less (maybe obvious).

Sounds like u r like me and @caledonia

NilaJones

Oops, i mean like us in sensitivity.

For meat sensitivities, have u looked into histamine intolerance?

NilaJones

Half a teaspoon (about 1ml) per day has been enough clam juice for me and has done wonders.

Another option : transdermal B12. Search for thread by that name.

I buy the "bar harbor" brand clam juice, sold at whole foods and some other health food stores.

Is there a histamine diet you follow?

I see low and high histamine lists out there but they seem to have inconsistencies, some foods and one list
and not on another.

Are there any fruits that cause you problems?

A good histamine food avoid list that has worked for you?

NilaJones

IME histamine stuff varies pwtson to petson and u just have to test foods out for yourself :). But the lists are useful for what to look at. For example, u might want to try fresh cooked meat vs the same piece of meat after being in fridge overnight. Maybe fresh cookef is ok for u???

Nila, please let me know how you react to the bar harbor clam juice. For me, it seems to
promote a better mood, happiness. What so far have been the benefits for you, with the
clam juice you have used?

NilaJones

Nila, please let me know how you react to the bar harbor clam juice. For me, it seems to
promote a better mood, happiness. What so far have been the benefits for you, with the
clam juice you have used?

I don't plan to try it any time soon -- I have a long waiting list of stuff to try out :). But I am happy it helps you!

You said "Half a teaspoon (about 1ml) per day has been enough clam juice for me and has done wonders."

When you said it has "done wonders", what are these "wonders" you are referring to? Are you referring
to B12 deficiency symptoms being reversed, helped? Mood, strength, sleep? Thanks for clarity.