• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is the deal with diet?

DoggerFisher

Also (because I like food) i think variety is really important and these diets can sometimes trap us into eating the same things all the time which is bad and i believe can create intolerances just from excess. it annoys me that the DD can also rob me of enjoyment of food as well as everything else

Marigold7

Also (because I like food) i think variety is really important and these diets can sometimes trap us into eating the same things all the time which is bad and i believe can create intolerances just from excess. it annoys me that the DD can also rob me of enjoyment of food as well as everything else

Indeed yes. I will not let this dominate my life to that extent either. I went through the food avoidance lark many years ago and it was useless and a total bore,

Crux

Something's up though. There is an epidemic of obesity and diabetes now.

I believe that part of it is the fortification of foods. It can disturb the balance of nutrients.

Among other things, this processing and fortification seems to cause a type of malnutrition. We still don't know what nutrients are needed, especially individually.

I suspect part of this type of malnutrition may cause over eating and disease.

For instance, iron deficiency is considered to be one of the largest epidemics world wide. But for me, iron fortification of my food would be poison.

I don't want anyone to enforce food fortification on me.

Marigold7

Something's up though. There is an epidemic of obesity and diabetes now.

I believe that part of it is the fortification of foods. It can disturb the balance of nutrients.

Among other things, this processing and fortification seems to cause a type of malnutrition. We still don't know what nutrients are needed, especially individually.

I suspect part of this type of malnutrition may cause over eating and disease.

I see the obesity thing as lifestyle that embraces fast food AND no real exercise. A literally lethal combination. We have this very seriously here in Ireland especially among young children.I in 4 are seriously overweight/obese
If both parents are working ? Meals will be fast and easy to make. Kids in front of TV feeding their faces. Schoolkids at lunchtime buying junk food in local shops. And going everywhere by car or bus. .

Nothing to do with fortification of food. Fruit and veg are cheap here now and abundant but take more work preparing etc and fast food outlets and takeaways are very popular, as is eating out.

When I was at school there was only one girl in my year of 100 who was overweight and that was genetic. School meals were there and we walked everywhere. Food was also in my early years still rationed so sweets were a luxury and rare.

Basilico

Florida
This movie makes an interesting point about dairy causing autoimmune disease, and factory farmed meats doin the same.

A huge problem with the vast majority of vegan/vegetarian documentaries is that they don't acknowledge that there is a HUGE difference between eating meat/dairy/eggs that are factory farmed vs. coming from sustainable farms that raises the animals humanely, feeding them what they are designed to eat. In my opinion, it is not fair to compare the two.

No one knows what causes autoimmune diseases. Correlation does not equal causation, which is something that these documentaries choose to ignore. Using their own logic, you could just as easily say that since there has been a huge increase in people eating soy-based products in recent years, soy causes autoimmune diseases.

The strongest correlation I have ever seen is between prevalence of autoimmune diseases and lack of helminth infections. It's pretty dramatic. Check out the map in this thread, where I discussed Hygiene Hypothesis in more detail. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...lence-in-the-western-world.51642/#post-853109

belize44

Eat what makes you feel good and a varied diet.
I have found that when I keep a strict food diary, and record how I feel after eating certain things, it is far more simple to come up with a realistic food plan. I know that dairy makes my fibro worse, and that sugar causes a multitude of problems, but I also know that meat always makes me feel better after consuming it. We buy most of our meat from a local farmer's market and they get their meat from a source that doesn't use antibiotics and such. We try to to use only organic or natural sources but it isn't always easy!

My doctor had me start on the Keto diet, and that first week I felt a difference. I also dropped about 7 lbs, which I am sure is mostly unwanted water. Only time will tell. But one thing I can say, is that it is impossible to tell what everyone should eat at any given time. Only the individual knows how certain foods and substances affect them, not some book or documentary.

belize44

@belize44 yep. You lose a ton of weight - that's a side effect! It feels harsh to me in some way. Not hungry but possibly starving!
Yes, one thing I dislike about the keto diet is that I am always slightly hungry. But on the other hand, that means that I am burning fat which is also probably toxin laden so if I can get rid of it, yay for me!

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Yes, one thing I dislike about the keto diet is that I am always slightly hungry. But on the other hand, that means that I am burning fat which is also probably toxin laden so if I can get rid of it, yay for me!
i know nothing about the keto diet so i don't know if this will affect it or not, but this post reminded me of something i heard somewhere, in Japan its normal to eat till your 80% full. This may oddly enough make evolutionary sense in a weird way, if our ancestors didn't have a steady supply of food they would overeat when food was abundant and lose weight while food was scarce. No one wants to go through this period of alternating hunger so perhaps 80% full is a happy medium and would explain the obesity epidemic (on top of food being extra calorie rich today).
This has little to do with a keto diet i assume, i just wanted to get it into the thread since it came to mind because of your post.

belize44

belize44

i know nothing about the keto diet so i don't know if this will affect it or not, but this post reminded me of something i heard somewhere, in Japan its normal to eat till your 80% full. This may oddly enough make evolutionary sense in a weird way, if our ancestors didn't have a steady supply of food they would overeat when food was abundant and lose weight while food was scarce. No one wants to go through this period of alternating hunger so perhaps 80% full is a happy medium and would explain the obesity epidemic (on top of food being extra calorie rich today).
This has little to do with a keto diet i assume, i just wanted to get it into the thread since it came to mind because of your post.
It does make since to always be a little hungry because I think of a washing machine that is filled to capacity; it can't efficiently do it's job if there are too many articles put in it; likewise, our stomachs filled to capacity have trouble digesting!

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
It does make since to always be a little hungry because I think of a washing machine that is filled to capacity; it can't efficiently do it's job if there are too many articles put in it; likewise, our stomachs filled to capacity have trouble digesting!
I don't see it that way, as a species we have plentiful food whenever we want it (i am not talking about money, many of us especially with severe diseases can't work leading to personal food insecurity, but thats a political problem, not a supply problem). But this food abundance is an anomaly, without farming and packaging and fridges/freezers we would be like wildlife, having food when its abundant and going through periods of lack of food. We are not bottom feeders who can live on any greenery, we have more specific requirements (and no ability to digest cellulose). We have lost our genetic knowledge of ideal food but since we are intelligent we have gained the ability to harvest and control the supply to make it available continuously, and this leads to overeating and continuous obesity. Hence the eat till 80% full is a compensatory mechanism.