• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is brain fog? An evaluation of the symptom in POTS

Firestormm

September 2013

What is brain fog? An evaluation of the symptom in postural tachycardia syndrome
Abstract

Purpose

Adolescents with postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS) often experience ill-defined cognitive impairment referred to by patients as “brain fog.”

The objective of this study was to evaluate the symptom of brain fog as a means of gaining further insight into its etiology and potential palliative interventions.

Methods

Eligible subjects who reported having been diagnosed with POTS were recruited from social media web sites.

Subjects were asked to complete a 38-item questionnaire designed for this study, and the Wood mental fatigue inventory (WMFI).

Results

Responses were received from 138 subjects with POTS (88 % female), ranging in age from 14 to 29 years; 132 subjects reported brain fog. WMFI scores correlated with brain fog frequency and severity (P < 0.001).

The top ranked descriptors of brain fog were “forgetful,” “cloudy,” and “difficulty focusing, thinking and communicating.”

The most frequently reported brain fog triggers were fatigue (91 %), lack of sleep (90 %), prolonged standing (87 %), dehydration (86 %), and feeling faint (85 %).

Although aggravated by upright posture, brain fog was reported to persist after assuming a recumbent posture.

The most frequently reported interventions for the treatment of brain fog were intravenous saline (77 %), stimulant medications (67 %), salt tablets (54 %), intra-muscular vitamin B-12 injections (48 %), and midodrine (45 %).

Conclusions

Descriptors for “brain fog” are most consistent with it being a cognitive complaint. Factors other than upright posture may play a role in the persistence of this symptom.

Subjects reported a number of therapeutic interventions for brain fog not typically used in the treatment of POTS that may warrant further investigation.

Full paper (pdf.) here.

xchocoholic

As long as I'm well fed and not on any mind altering
meds my pots related brain fog goes after an hour of
being supine and quiet.

This doesn't mean I'm a genius but I feel more
like my pre cfs self.

I've been like this since 2008. I was asking my drs why
I felt completely healthy after laying down for an
hour but they didn't think about it being from
pots / hypoperfusion. It took me a couple of years
of researching to finally find Dr peckerman's article. : )

Tx for posting this. x