• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What helps your vibrating buzzing electrical symptoms? Meds? Herbs? What triggers them?

Starsister

Some of us are more sensitive to energies than others, also, so I never rule out electromagnetic influences. I know I've experienced fatigue and electrical vibration from sitting too near the CPU of my old desktop computer. Main reason I got rid of it.

JaimeS

The pins and needles sensation is one type of paresthesia. Benfotiamine is a good supplement for paresthesias.

I could've sworn I responded to this... the Terry's Naturally Healthy Feet and Nerves has benfotiamine as one of its main ingredients.

However, I've taken benfotiamine alone and not experienced relief from all the symptoms that the TN HF&N has helped me with. However, perhaps the brand of benfotiamine I was taking was crappy.

Interesting perspective. I've got an other from practicing traditional Buddhist meditation. For example in 4-elements meditation one learns to directly perceive all 4 elements the body is made of: like earth (hardness, softness), water (cohesion, fluidity), air (vibrations, motion) and fire (heat, cold). With enough training one can feel all 4 of them at once. Target is, of course, to loosen attachment to the body.

For me such sensations came by intensive practice. They can be terrifying, or utter bliss. Common denominator in all such sensations is impermanence, just arising to pass again, always changing.

So it seems it all depends on the perspective. Either one could consider it pathological, or even train for being able to feel such sensations in meditative practice.
Guess I need to meditate on the other 3 elements. I have been able to embrace it more the past year, and even get a light 'sleep' during the milder episodes. I guess I don't fear it as much as I did when they started in 2008.

Wonko

I'm in the UK and don't have access to most of the stuff discussed, tests etc.

The only effective treatment I have found is oramorph, it's not long term, in fact over use can make the situation worse, but it gets rid of symptoms for a while which allows me to rest "comfortably" and I suspect it's the rest which is helping.

Other drugs, supplements I have access to either do nothing or work so slowly that they don't help.

tudiemoore

Moblet! Your post was full of information I have been searching for!

In the last few weeks I became aware of a sound--hard to describe--sort of "eeeeeeeeee" ongoing, no changes in pattern, etc.

I unplugged a few things--those little plug-in lights, a couple of lamps. "It" seemed to hesitate but never paused, kept going--
I had already planned to figure out how to turn off wifi, at night -- I am guessing that is a good place to start.

When I went online I read about "The Hum" but it didn't fit --
intriguing --
I will be interested in seeing if any of the changes I plan to make will result in --improvement?
Thanks--

bjl218

Old thread. But FWIW, I have what I call the "sleep vibrations" too. Only happens when I'm sleeping or sometimes as I drift off to sleep if I try to nap during the day. Every Lyme/co-infections test I've taken (including Igenex and other private labs) has come back negative. And my other symptoms are not indicative of Lyme. I did recently have a NutrEval test that showed I was was low to extremely low in all B vitamins so that's something I need to address. I've tried turning off my WiFi at not, but it's very hard to get away from all sources of electromagnetic radiation.

This is easily my worst and most debilitating symptom.

Last edited:

rel8ted

Before I had a diagnosis, a neurologist ordered a nerve conduction study to try and figure out what was going on. I told him it felt like I was randomly hooked up to a TENS unit cranked up higher than I could stand - it was literally the only description I thought would make any sense. They did find some issues, but as soon as he figured out it wasn't MS, he quickly lost interest. Too close to retirement to care. The next year he was gone and I was too sick to start fresh with another doc who could care less also. That part is discouraging.

I have had a lot less of the buzzing since I don't work anymore and am able to pace more. if I overdo, I tend to have trouble. That can even mean a couple of lousy nights of sleep. Heat is a big problem for me, too. Hence the neurologist thinking demyelination & MS.

Dechi

I’ve read that this internal buzzing feeling might be linked to muscles being overworked. Since mine appears when I am more fatigued, I figured it made sense. At the same time it’s worrying me because it happens under mu rib cage, which might mean that the fatigued muscles would be the lungs.

bjl218

Here's another take on the internal buzzing thing. For me, it only happens during sleep or when I'm drifting off to sleep. Like many here, I saw a number of doctor's none of whom ever heard of this symptom (even though a Google search will turn up many people posting about this on many different forums). One of the top sleep neuro's in the Boston area told me that he knew that symptom and that it was "just anxiety" and he'd be happy to prescribe a benzodiazepine. I declined...

In my case, the vibrations seem to come from my sternum. And since I'd had a few bouts with GERD years ago, I decided to see a gastroenterologist. I wasn't even going to mention the vibrations. I just wanted to be evaluated for GERD. So I went to one of the top-rated gastros at Mass General hospital in Boston. While he was taking notes I just happened to mention the vibration thing and he said, "Oh, yeah I know what that is. I've seen that a lot." I almost cried. He said it was called "visceral hypersensitivity" and one of the causes can be a hypersensitivity to stomach acids coming into contact with the esophagus. Even if it's just normal levels of stomach acid and not GERD. In my case, all tests came back showing that I was having normal reflux events (not GERD). He said that some people's nerves are just overly sensitive and they react in this way. When asleep, the autonomic nervous system goes into alarm mode because of this. This sounds very much like nerve demyelination to me. He didn't suggest testing my vitamin levels or anything like that...

Unfortunately, the only treatment he could offer was low-dose PPIs combined with low-dose Gabapentin--neither of which thrill me. I don't like either of those drugs. But I agreed to try it just to get some relief. I'm on an H2 blocker and 100mg/day of gabapentin. This is a very low dose. Folks dealing with other sort of neuropathic pain (like fibromyalgia) can take as much as 3200mg/day. While the 100mg is "taking the edge off" a bit, it's still not sufficient. I haven't decided yet whether I'll increase the dose at my next appointment with the neuro.

Dechi

@bjl218 thanks ! I very much like this explanation ! A lot more than the muscle one.

I do have GERD and I see an ENT doctor once a year for it or so. I can’t tolerate PPIs and I’m happy about it because they don’t have good reviews at all. So I take nothing. What’s weird though is I’ve had GERD for a long time and this vibrating symptom started with my ME. Still a possibility though.

bjl218

I also have a small hiatal hernia and I wonder how that plays into all of this. Some alternative medicine practitioners believe that hiatal hernias can cause various medical issues that traditional docs don't recognize.

@Dechi, do yo happen to know your vitamin status? My NutrEval shows that my B vitamins are low to extremely low. I wonder if the vibrations are a type of neuropathy. Neuropathies can be caused by B vitamin deficiencies especially B12.

Dechi

@bjl218 My blood tests always come back normal. My doctor asked me to take iron because I was a little low, but that’s it.