• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What helps with tight muscles? Like, really tight...

GracieJ

On another note... I see a few clients with ME/CFS or FMS and find that a very personalized approach to massage works well. Sometimes a few sessions of energy work are best to clear some things, and then a moderate Swedish massage is of more benefit. Would be happy to PM.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
The amino acid Beta Alanine--helps block lactic acid and increases L-Carnosine
Branched Chain Amino Acids-Increases muscle recovery

Forgot one - Hydroxyproline--It is a precursor to Collagen and increases collagen in the muscles. It is supposed to work better than taking straight collagen supplements because collagen supplements don't absorb well. It is kind of pricey though.

Last edited:

belize44

Well, it isn't much but I discovered this Ayurvedic massage oil that really takes the pain levels down. I am planning to take it to my massage therapist and have her use it instead of the oil she usually applies. And, it doesn't stink like some of the topical pain relief products out there.

If you do use it, be careful because it stains. When I use it, I lay on an old sheet and towel which are going into the laundry immediately so that they don't get to smelling like rancid oil, LOL. Here's the link:
http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3233.

If the link doesn't work, do a search for Banyan botanicals, and look for Mahanarayan oil.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
For short-term relief from muscle tension I agree with others who recommend cannabis. (Unfortunately it is not prescribed for ME in the UK. :()

I also get some relief from the sedating antihistamines diphenhydramine and chlorphenamine, but due to their sedating effects there are of course limits to when they can be used.

Quinine relieves muscle tension but is not safe to use often.

I also agree with those who say they have been helped by reducing grain intake. I get much less muscle tension since adopting a leaky-gut diet which avoids gluten, reduces grains and adds some supplements (I don't have dairy anyway), but it does take a few months to get the benefit, which is not just in muscle tension reduction but many other symptoms too. There is even a possibility that it can eventually cure the underlying pathology, or at least bring about remission.