• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What happens when serotonin and dopamine are increased in the intestines?

msf

I have heard that serotonin increases gut motility, but I don´t know about dopamine.

invisiblejungle

Serotonin increases gut motility. There are pro-motility drugs that stimulate 5HT4 receptors, such as prucalopride.

Dopamine decreases gut motility, since dopamine antagonizes acetylcholine, which is the main neurotransmitter in the digestive system. There are pro-motility drugs that block dopamine, which increases acetylcholine concentrations, such as domperidone.

JES

Regarding mood, there is no direct connection with serotonin levels in the brain and serotonin in the intestines. The classic example is eating a banana - contains lots of serotonin - but bananas don't cure depression, let alone influence brain serotonin levels.

Justin30

You also have to understand that most with ME/CFS have altered gut flora resulting in access levels of free radicals in the system.

This then results in deficits and conversion issues of vitamins, minerals and amino acids into critical neurotramsmitters ie. Serotonin which is involved in 3000 bodily process if memory serves me correctly.

LPS at high levels in the blood stream is directly correlated to conversion issue of L Tryptophan into Serotonin again if my memory serves me correctly.

ukxmrv

I'd always assumed that it was the "serotonin" effect that caused gut issues for me when I took antidepressants.

My stomach grew painful, distended and mobility seemed to stop altogether.

(p.s. I was not suffering from depression. The AD trial was supposed to help with pain and sleep but didn't)

Not sure why this happened. Just mentioning in case it is useful.

Justin30

I'd always assumed that it was the "serotonin" effect that caused gut issues for me when I took antidepressants.

My stomach grew painful, distended and mobility seemed to stop altogether.

(p.s. I was not suffering from depression. The AD trial was supposed to help with pain and sleep but didn't)

Not sure why this happened. Just mentioning in case it is useful.

Was it the chicken or the egg....tough to know