• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What happened to the prices at iHerb???!

Oberon

...iherb usually has pretty good prices. i prefer swansons prices but the UPS shipping is a problem because they charge huge amounts brokerage fees to ship over the border. iherb is better for international orders.

i think i ordered from vitacost too once...but i think again shipping was an issue since i am in canada.

In Canada too. Swanson added $10USD shipping including brokerage to compete with Vitacost a while ago. I switched most of my purchasing from Vitacost to Swanson once they did that as I trust their quality more than I do Vitacost.

For those interested, iHerb just drop the volume and VIP discounts. A few months back you could get 12% for orders over $200, now it is completely removed. International shipping rates have also increased.

cph13

ebay actually for individual things sometimes--unopened of course ;)
but I use swansons a lot in US
puritan pride cheap but low selection
Im a little late to the party on this one. I just wanted to mention Puritan Pride prices went up when Nature Bounty bot them out sometime ago. They still have that buy one get two free twice a year. Other than that they are expensive. I've been meaning to research Piping Rock Vitamins....anyone have any commens on this one.

I recently put in an order with Vita Cost. I found everything I ordered was cheaper than Swanson plus they were offering a 15% discount so I got things REALLY inexpensive. One must constantly compare. It takes me a day or two to get an order in and I use 2/3 different places....I stopped using Iherb a LONG TIME AGO as I noticed the prices higher than others. Happy Healing xo C

The number of things I get from Iherb has declined over time and now I think I will stop using them also. Swanson is ok for some things, but really need to find another quality low cost source.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Im a little late to the party on this one. I just wanted to mention Puritan Pride prices went up when Nature Bounty bot them out sometime ago. They still have that buy one get two free twice a year. Other than that they are expensive. I've been meaning to research Piping Rock Vitamins....anyone have any commens on this one.

I recently put in an order with Vita Cost. I found everything I ordered was cheaper than Swanson plus they were offering a 15% discount so I got things REALLY inexpensive. One must constantly compare. It takes me a day or two to get an order in and I use 2/3 different places....I stopped using Iherb a LONG TIME AGO as I noticed the prices higher than others. Happy Healing xo C

I had to restock a few things a few days ago so I compared Puritan's Pride vs. Swanson vs. Piping Rock. Piping Rock got the bulk of my order, Puritan's Pride had one item priced lower than the others, and two other items are still sitting in my cart at Swanson, and I'm just waiting for a 20% off coupon to land in my email before I order those. I also compare prices to Amazon, which are usually higher, and sometimes find good deals for individual products on eBay.

There's an application called Invisible Hand that will search for the lowest prices on the Internet for you. It runs in your browser. Haven't had any problems with it:
http://www.getinvisiblehand.com

mrmichaelfreedmen

There prices have jumped up for 2017 right across multiple product brands, around 10% increase or more. Multiple buy discounts look to be eliminated as well.

Last edited:

Johnmac

Any other views as to the cheapest/best bulk supplement supplier presently?

I've always used iHerb, but don't feel any unbreakable loyalty...

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Any other views as to the cheapest/best bulk supplement supplier presently?

Vitacost and Swanson are good choices for many supplements including some bulk items. Both have excellent shipping prices and selection. I've never dealt with Swanson's customer service, but Vitacost's has been excellent whenever I've contacted them.

I've used BulkSupplements.com in the past until their shipping costs to Canada went crazy. They have some good options for pure supplements in bulk without the fillers that are found in capsules. They also sell veg or gelatin capsules, and capsule machines last time I checked.

Johnmac

Vitacost and Swanson are good choices for many supplements including some bulk items. Both have excellent shipping prices and selection. I've never dealt with Swanson's customer service, but Vitacost's has been excellent whenever I've contacted them.

I've used BulkSupplements.com in the past until their shipping costs to Canada went crazy. They have some good options for pure supplements in bulk without the fillers that are found in capsules. They also sell veg or gelatin capsules, and capsule machines last time I checked.

Thanks PatJ. Do these other suppliers have the range that iHerb does?

iHerb's advantage for me in the past has been that it has everything I need 'under one roof'.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Thanks PatJ. Do these other suppliers have the range that iHerb does?

Vitacost and Swanson both have a very large selection. Bulk supplements has far less but that isn't surprising since they focus on bulk items only.

Vitacost also has regular discounts. As I write this they have 15% off everything. They often have BOGO deals where you can get one item and a second for half price (or occasionally 2 for the price of 1). They have their house brand products which are often identical to certain name brands but less expensive. They regularly offer 10-12% off deals if you purchase more than $100, or $180 depending on the % savings you want. Or if you create an account, place an item in your cart and then wait a day or two you'll usually get a 10% off email to encourage you to complete your purchase.

Swanson has excellent shipping rates (to Canada at least) and have their own house brands and BOGO deals, although with Swanson you need to look at the quantity you get in the BOGO items to see if you're really saving any money vs. a full priced competitor.

Kathevans

Also good to know is that iHerb has instituted a 'Loyalty' program where they credit you 10% of a purchase toward your next purchase.

The truth is buying supps is frustrating all around, and a place like iHerb does have a huge selection. And quick service. And free shipping for over $20 (for us here in the US, anyway). Given all the focus we put on health and wellness, anything that facilitates that and lessens the time spent is a good thing.

I seem to always forget something and am always thinking of my next order. :bang-head:

Johnmac

Thanks Pat - that's excellent information. Duly noted for my next order. I'll have a good hard look at the alternatives to iHerb next time.

ATB...

mrmichaelfreedmen

Vitacost and Swanson both have a very large selection. Bulk supplements has far less but that isn't surprising since they focus on bulk items only.

Vitacost also has regular discounts. As I write this they have 15% off everything. They often have BOGO deals where you can get one item and a second for half price (or occasionally 2 for the price of 1). They have their house brand products which are often identical to certain name brands but less expensive. They regularly offer 10-12% off deals if you purchase more than $100, or $180 depending on the % savings you want. Or if you create an account, place an item in your cart and then wait a day or two you'll usually get a 10% off email to encourage you to complete your purchase.

Swanson has excellent shipping rates (to Canada at least) and have their own house brands and BOGO deals, although with Swanson you need to look at the quantity you get in the BOGO items to see if you're really saving any money vs. a full priced competitor.

VitaCost sucks for me only because for some reason they prohibit simple supplements from being bought from there online store - supplements that I freely buy from a multitude of other online stores.

To be honest, VitaCost are retarded as I have brought this to there attention and they simply sent a response resembling gibberish! - Have not used them since.

Swansons for me since iherbs price increase for 2017 has been great, there only down side is the fact that there $9USD shipping takes over 3 weeks to arrive.

Hanna

Also good to know is that iHerb has instituted a 'Loyalty' program where they credit you 10% of a purchase toward your next purchase.

The truth is buying supps is frustrating all around, and a place like iHerb does have a huge selection. And quick service. And free shipping for over $20 (for us here in the US, anyway). Given all the focus we put on health and wellness, anything that facilitates that and lessens the time spent is a good thing.

I seem to always forget something and am always thinking of my next order. :bang-head:

It seems that loyalty "doesn't pay", as their credit has been reduced from 10% to only 5% (and before it was 10% "VIP" without any boundary of time. Now you have to reorder within 2 months to get the credit). That was a bad surprise !
Living outside US, iherb has been a convenient way to order my sups, as their shipping fees were not high.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
VitaCost sucks for me only because for some reason they prohibit simple supplements from being bought from there online store - supplements that I freely buy from a multitude of other online stores. To be honest, VitaCost are retarded as I have brought this to there attention and they simply sent a response resembling gibberish! - Have not used them since.

I've encountered a few supplements that Vitacost couldn't ship outside the US due to Canadian restrictions (such as Yohimbe), but have also encountered a few non-restricted items that Vitacost wouldn't ship but that I could get through Swanson. The last time this happened I emailed them and got a very reasonable response that they couldn't understand why the product I wanted to order couldn't be shipped, and the person forwarded the info to someone in management to look into. Sometimes products are mistakenly flagged as being restricted to certain areas.

mrmichaelfreedmen

I've encountered a few supplements that Vitacost couldn't ship outside the US due to Canadian restrictions (such as Yohimbe), but have also encountered a few non-restricted items that Vitacost wouldn't ship but that I could get through Swanson. The last time this happened I emailed them and got a very reasonable response that they couldn't understand why the product I wanted to order couldn't be shipped, and the person forwarded the info to someone in management to look into. Sometimes products are mistakenly flagged as being restricted to certain areas.

After going through some notes I made following my last VitaCost interaction, in most instance's VitaCost allowed there OWN brand of a particular supplement to be shipped however other competing brands were not allowed to be shipped.

At the time simply going through my local Customs and Quarantine website displayed non import and prohibited items, so not hard to know what can and can not be imported to your area! - these list's are updated monthly so before each order it would pay to check when ordering outside your normal items.

Anyway I remember thinking how ridiculous the VitaCost email response was in explanation to there brand/item import prohibition was and never used them again(maybe if he was just honest and simply explained it as "marketing" the response would of been more logical) - all this was 1.5 years ago.

mrmichaelfreedmen

It seems that loyalty "doesn't pay", as their credit has been reduced from 10% to only 5% (and before it was 10% "VIP" without any boundary of time. Now you have to reorder within 2 months to get the credit). That was a bad surprise !
Living outside US, iherb has been a convenient way to order my sups, as their shipping fees were not high.

There has been a recent 10% price increase for 2017 so we are not really getting a "discount" anymore are we?

Just noticed there free postage via Australia Post has also become a thing of the past...

Last edited:

Kathevans

Ok. This feels very important: I've discovered that the latest bottles of NOW Potassium Gluconate Powder have only 175mg per 1/2 teaspoon, as opposed to the PAST DOSE of 270mg per 1/2 teaspoon. I'm not sure I understand because I've been using this bottle for at least a week or more and haven't had any problems with my usual 4 doses/day. I had a long 'chat' with someone at iHerb who doesn't have a clue, but says she'll get back to me. On AMAZON, I've noticed they have the same old bottle with 270mg/ 1/2 teaspoon, and I've ordered some. There's no one at NOW today as it's Saturday, so I'll try to try on Monday, though I notice that their web site has the same 'new' bottle with 175mg per 1/2 teaspoon. Who knows? I'm not sure I'll have the time Monday as I'm assisting a sick sister, but I will try.

mrmichaelfreedmen

I thought everyone should know that is the second time via VitaCost that I noticed a ripp-off in the conversion rate or stated order total and what they ACTUALLY charge your credit card.

I placed an order for $74AUD just then, but they charged my Credit Card $85AUD. This has NEVER happened with any other company I have ever used!!!

I order soooooo much stuff online and am extremely versed is conversion rates and Paypal fees etc

VitaCost are theives plan and simple, had the order cancelled right away.

mrmichaelfreedmen

There has been a recent 10% price increase for 2017 so we are not really getting a "discount" anymore are we?

Just noticed there free postage via Australia Post has also become a thing of the past...

Shortly after posting this, iHerb reintroduced there free AMS postage to Australia, coincidence?

Last edited: