• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What happened to the prices at iHerb???!

Kathevans

I was dismayed to discover huge price increases at iHerb products today. I ultimately placed my order at Vitacost, where the prices I paid were as follows. I’ve also shown the current cost at iHerb, as well as their cost in the very recent past. Maybe they got a new CEO...

Country Life Methyl B12 Cherry - 5000 mcg - 60 Lozenges $13.19 vs $21.24 @ iHerb

Garden of Life Olde World® Icelandic Cod Liver Oil - 8 fl oz $10.49 vs $18.25 @ iHerb (Was $13.20 on 10/20/15)

Natural Factors Calcium Citrate - 350 mg - 90 Tablets $8.37 vs $11.57 @ iHerb (Was $8.37 on 3/11/15)

Enzymatic Therapy B12 Infusion™-30 Chewable Tablets $4.99 x 3 = $14.97 vs $8.67 x 3 = $26.01 @ iHerb
(Was $6.27 on 10/20/15)

Aura Cacia Aromatherapy Bubble Bath Chamomile -- 13 fl oz $6.11 vs $8.93 @ iHerb ( Was $6.46 on 9/15/15)

Total: $53.13 @ Vitacost vs $ 77.40 @ iHerb = $24.27, a 45% increase over Vitacost

The bubble bath was my one indulgence!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
If you're in the U.S. try pureformulas. Cheaper than both places and free shipping no matter what the order size

Also check natural healthy concepts. Free shipping and some prices are good. Also discounts if you search Google.

Also amazon subscribe and save.

Swanson is good too.

Victronix

I hadn't realized the prices were that different, but Vitacost has terrible reviews. I ordered from them once when I was traveling and paid an extra $10 because it said "2 day air" but it turned out the fine print was that it was only 2 business days, which they did not highlight, so I didn't get it for a full 4 days. I had to go for 2 days without any methyl B-12 and it was extremely stressful. When I complained they merely highlighted the fine print in red back to me -- most businesses would simply refund the person to keep their business. They could care less if someone stays or goes. I won't order from them again.

This link comes up high on a search -- http://www.consumeraffairs.com/health/vitacost.html

One of the reviews talks about products with expiration dates in less than a month after receiving the products.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
What country are you in?
For me i know they converted the prices from US $ to aussie $ ,at the moment the aussie $ is less than the usd so the prices are higher for me in australia . Bonus for me is iherb have the best shipping rates.

Daffodil

...iherb usually has pretty good prices. i prefer swansons prices but the UPS shipping is a problem because they charge huge amounts brokerage fees to ship over the border. iherb is better for international orders.

i think i ordered from vitacost too once...but i think again shipping was an issue since i am in canada.

xrayspex

ebay actually for individual things sometimes--unopened of course ;)
but I use swansons a lot in US
puritan pride cheap but low selection

Kathevans

@minkeygirl Yes, I 'm in the U.S., outside Boston. You've compiled a good list. I like Natural Healthy Concepts, myself. I've tried Pure Formulas once or twice, and we have Amazon Prime, which certainly has terrific service. It would be nice if you didn't have to go here there and everywhere to purchase your supps!

I haven't tried Swansons, but did note their prices were low on some things. Vitacost's early expiration dates don't sound so good...

Mij

With our low CDN$ I no longer shop at iherb. I've found prices in Canada to be quite good with coupon discounts and free shipping. I won't be going back to iherb even when the CDN$ goes up.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Kathevans tjeres another I use. I'll get the name later

I go wherever I get cheap prices. I don't have prime but I use subscribe and save for a lot not just marketplace sellers.

eBay is cheapest for my licorice solid. I have another one professional something. I'll get that later. I use pureformulas a lot, in fact most of the time. If I need one thing no shipping. No taxes. Can't beat that.

Kathevans

I emailed iHerb to complain and this was their reply:

"Thank you for contacting iHerb.

We do apologize for the price increase on some of our products. Please do understand that when our manufacturer increases their price, we also do so as in the nature of the business. However, the most common cause as to why a certain product increases a price is due to a low production by the manufacturer or an increase demand. As such, we ask for your kind patience and understanding on this matter. Once again, please accept our apologies.

Feel free to contact us 24/7 through Live Chat or E-mail at info@iherb.com if you need further assistance. Please remember that iHerb Customer Service is always available to address your concerns so that you will always have a worry-free experience.

Have a Great and Healthy Day!"

Hmmmm. "... low production by the manufacturer or an increase demand." ?? I would think increased demand would drive the cost lower. But then, I'm no economist!:D

Dufresne

almost there...
@Kathevans, thanks for the info.

Yeah I guess there's a real shortage on calcium citrate these days...;)

I thought I'd noticed the prices had gone up the last couple times I ordered. Their airmail shipping to Canada, while still a good deal, has gone up a bit too. It seems they've entered that tricky marketing phase where they do their best to squeeze the maximum from their business without losing too much market share.

Johnmac

"Please do understand that when our manufacturer increases their price, we also do so as in the nature of the business. However, the most common cause as to why a certain product increases a price is due to a low production by the manufacturer or an increase demand...."

I think they call that profiteering.

Freddd

I noticed some price increases recently too at iherb. However I also noticed a rather major overhaul of their discount for quantities and percentages. They changed the rules in their marketing program to prohibit some practices. Also, I believe that they use some practices from other types of marketers and try to nail down big quantities cheap for a longer period and if the market is tight then they don't get the discounts. I think some old prices they had nailed down expired. There are new lines and old lines that are just gone.m I have never had a short expiration vitamin from them. I would bet that there are some taking short date products off the hands of some who had slow product movment. I have also seen more "out of stock" of some of my regulars. Twelve years ago after I announced my amazing results with Enzymatic Therapy MeCbl it went back ordered for months and I had to ruin my tests of 10 brands in desperate need to locate anther 5 star B12 and that turned out to be Jarrow for some years until suddenly it wasn't, along with some label or bottle changes.

Kathevans

Yeah, ok. @Freddd I say kind of begrudgingly... I think I'm particularly irritated because I loved iHerb so much. I was so loyal, and the search is so time consuming and tedious. They do have their good qualities!

Being generally well stocked is certainly one of them. Changing formulations is always a frustration and one we can do nothing about. Your disruptions years ago were much more important in the scheme of things...

I admit to being one of those consumers who isn't above calling a company and suggesting they come out with a 5,000mcg MeB12. I've done this with Enzymatic. "You'd have a big market," I said!

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I've been using Vitacost for years and have never had a problem. Whenever I've contacted customer service I've received a prompt and polite reply. I once reported receiving a rancid product and got an immediate refund on the purchase price. They also have $10 flat-rate shipping to Canada and collect the GST at checkout so the package doesn't get stuck in customs. I ordered 18 pounds worth of products at one point and still only paid $10. In my experience Vitacost does everything right.

maddietod

I've also had good experiences with Vitacost. I buy from them about 5 times a year.

I'll go compare prices with pureformulas, though. I always thought pureformulas was a full-price company.

EDIT I did go compare prices, and for what I buy, pureformulas is more expensive.

Last edited:

leela

I also use LuckyVitamin, but as with Vitacost, the free shipping is often slow, so I don't order from either when I'm in a hurry.
The two have similar pricing, though I am noticing an uptick over time. Still, better than iHerb.

whodathunkit

I've use Vitacost for over 10 years. Their customer service is much better than it used to be (I consider them reliable now, my first experience with them was terrible) and the prices have always been better for most things than anywhere. Plus, they mostly use quality, bioavailable ingredients for their house brand. I use them when my purchase is not time-sensitive, and I can wait a week. I use iHerb when I want it tomorrow. :lol: I'd love to use iHerb for everything but the prices just haven't been compelling compared to Vitacost.