• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What evidence/rationale for active/reactivated HHV-6 if -ve by PCR but high IgG?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I have a high IgG titre (1:1280) for HHV-6 but have proved negative by PCR. I have plenty of neurocognitive and immunosuppression symptoms (brainfog, poor memory, poor concentration, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, frequent infections), which are consistent (as I understand it) with active or reactivated HHV-6. I've read on the HHV-6 Foundation site that it's possible to have an active infection, including one in the brain, without being positive by PCR.

I'd like some published evidence/rationale on this to discuss with my doctor. I've been listening to the pre-FDA workshop recordings and at the end of the third recording (28 minutes), Nancy Klimas says that one of Konnie Knox's papers showed that in relation to HHV-6, spinal fluid didn't correlate with blood so if you had it in your brain the virus (not antibody) didn't necessarily show up in your blood, and vice versa.

She also said that Konnie's early papers showed that HHV-6 was a 'here and gone, here and gone' thing and that if you looked at people once about half were PCR positive but if you looked at them longitudinally, over 3-4 blood draws you could bring that up to 85% or so.

Can anyone refer me to the relevant papers by Konnie (or anyone) on these issues?

Also, a question (from the medically pig-ignorant): If there's an infection in the brain, wouldn't it be in the circulating blood in the brain and hence also measurable in the blood in the body? Isn't blood all one big circulating system?

SOC

Can't help you with more than speculation, but here goes:

PCR tests blood levels of the pathogen. HHV-6, I believe, moves cell-to-cell so it can continue infecting neighboring tissue even if it's not in large amounts in the blood. If you have a serious infection of brain tissue, is it not possible that you could have a neurological infection that might not show up in blood tests, but might in spinal fluid?

Just speculating...