• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What does zinc deplete? What cofactors should it be taken with?

Happy sunday.

Zinc gives my a burning neuropathy, even at lowish doses. I have high copper, so I don't think that is the issue.

I also have stored mercury, but I am not getting any systemic problems from the zinc that I can tell.

The neuropathy has never cropped up untill the zinc/methylation supps. ... I hope its not MS, I suspect zinc might kick up killer t cells... now the tingling comes and goes regardless of what I take. Which could be MS or it could be Sulfur dragging up mercury from diet like meat and stuff.

I digress. Sorry this is kinda disorganized my brain is not working well today. :

I suspect another differential: maybe the zinc is depleting some essential cofactor... what could this be? I take lots of Mg and decent Mn.

dannybex

High Zinc and Neuropathy

Hi Lampkid,

This is a surprise to me as well, but I guess there's been cases of folks who developed neuropathy due to using denture creams that contained zinc. So they were absorbing a lot of zinc directly in their mouths for years...

Here's one:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/564087_3

If you google zinc and neuropathy, you'll turn up tons of lawyers looking for potential clients!

There may be other ways to lower copper, if that's what you're trying to do with the zinc. Here's another link to check out. (I can't of course verify if this is accurate, but perhaps others can chime in...)

http://www.acu-cell.com/crcu.html

Best of luck,

Dan

Freddd

Happy sunday.

Zinc gives my a burning neuropathy, even at lowish doses. I have high copper, so I don't think that is the issue.

I also have stored mercury, but I am not getting any systemic problems from the zinc that I can tell.

The neuropathy has never cropped up untill the zinc/methylation supps. ... I hope its not MS, I suspect zinc might kick up killer t cells... now the tingling comes and goes regardless of what I take. Which could be MS or it could be Sulfur dragging up mercury from diet like meat and stuff.

I digress. Sorry this is kinda disorganized my brain is not working well today. :

I suspect another differential: maybe the zinc is depleting some essential cofactor... what could this be? I take lots of Mg and decent Mn.

Hi Lampkld,

In my experience, each of the limiting factor supplements that ended up increasing neurological healing also increased the perception of tingling and burning in my damaged nerves. If "lowish" doses are doing this I suspect that low zinc has been a limiting factor in your healing.

alex3619

Hi lampkid2, zinc competes with some other divalent cations (two positive charge metals). I do not recall the full list of metals it competes with, but if you have any insulin sensitivity then chromium could be a problem. Bye, Alex