• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What does a gene Mutation of Mthfr have to do with mythl

place

Be Strong!
I had some gene testing a couple years back for something other than ME and I had a mutation of C677t. I was just reviewing some of my past tests and found this result with a paragraph under it talking about how it helps the body with folate????

Has anyone heard of this???

nanonug

I had some gene testing a couple years back for something other than ME and I had a mutation of C677t. I was just reviewing some of my past tests and found this result with a paragraph under it talking about how it helps the body with folate???? Has anyone heard of this???

This has been talked about ad nauseum in this forum. Just do a search for MTHFR. The bottom line is that a reduced capability to convert methylenetetrahydrofolate to methyltetrahydrofolate significant impairs the methylation cycle. Folic acid becomes "poison" and the need therefore arises to supplement with methylfolate.

By the way, are you hetero or homozygous for the C677T mutation?

place

Be Strong!
hummmmmmmm

homo...

I am having infertility issues and a Dr. out in Cali ran a bunch of tests... this was one of them.

Things are starting to click for me as far as possible solutions/problems.

That dr prescribed folic acid and it just made me sick.... I thought is was due to being made with yeast (I can't handle any yeast or it makes sick)

And the plot thicken..... I think Rich is really on to something. Im going to start calling him the Wizard!

Thanks for your insight! Very much appreciated!!

place

nanonug

homo... I am having infertility issues and a Dr. out in Cali ran a bunch of tests... this was one of them.

OK, if you are homozygous for the MTHFR C677T polymorphism then you definitely need to stop taking folic acid and start taking methylfolate, especially if you want to get pregnant.

I think Rich is really on to something. Im going to start calling him the Wizard!

Yep, Rich is one of the smartest dudes around!

hixxy

homo...

I am having infertility issues and a Dr. out in Cali ran a bunch of tests... this was one of them.

Things are starting to click for me as far as possible solutions/problems.

That dr prescribed folic acid and it just made me sick.... I thought is was due to being made with yeast (I can't handle any yeast or it makes sick)

And the plot thicken..... I think Rich is really on to something. Im going to start calling him the Wizard!

Thanks for your insight! Very much appreciated!!

place

LOL. Gotta love medical ignorance If a doctor can't understand a test why is he running it??? Folic acid is poison for you with that mutation

greenshots

LOL. Gotta love medical ignorance If a doctor can't understand a test why is he running it??? Folic acid is poison for you with that mutation

That seems to be the way of things everywhere these days. Occasionally, they know why they're doing something but I think most of the time they just don't! You have to get real lucky to get a doc who gets this stuff without trying to kill you in the process! I ain't EVER leaving my California dream doc!
Angela

ukxmrv

Hi Place,

I was tested for the MTHFR mutation in the same way during investigations for infertility. At that time there were internet groups set up for patients doing the same thing. What form of folate was your doctor using? At the time I looked at this Folapro was being used by most of the patients on these groups.

Hope all this info helps you.