• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What do you take for joint pain?

being

Hi all,

I was hoping to ask what you all took for joint aches/headaches. I've had joint aches and headaches basically constantly since becoming sick over a decade ago and have tried to tough it out and not take anything for it, but now recently it's gotten to the point that I have to take something. The only thing I have currently is hydrocodone (which I take for cluster headaches) but it doesn't really work very well on the joint aches, in fact it seems to aggravate it somewhat (some sort of histimine reaction?). I take it anyways because if I take a couple hydro's then it at least removes me from the pain but I don't really enjoy being constantly high on hydro's plus if I take them anywhere near bedtime it keeps me up all night.

I've tried aspirin as well but it doesn't really do anything except cause a rebound headache the next day. I don't know much about other types of pain medicines, does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

Lotus97

If it's nerve pain Gabapentin or Lyrica could help. Some people take methylcobalamin for neuropathy, but I'd recommend starting at a low dose since some people have a strong reaction to it (especially when taken with methylfolate). I have Lyme disease and I found out my joint pain could be from damage to my collagen tissues. There are a lot supplements for inflammation such as Zyflamend, Zyflamend PM, and curcumin.

Ema

For joint pain, I would look at hyaluronic acid. It used to be available only as injections but now it comes in a oral form. I give this to my puppy with osteoarthritis along with glucosamine, chondroitan and MSM and it has helped her move without stiffness better.

For headaches, I like Midrin which is a prescription med. It is for migraines but really seems to works on any headache.

Ema

Ema

There are a lot supplements for inflammation such as Zyflamend, Zyflamend PM, and curcumin.

Be careful with Zyflamend or Zyflamend PM if you have low cortisol. Both of these contain ingredients (holy basil and skullcap) which can powerfully lower cortisol.

Ema

valentinelynx

I take NSAIDs when my hand pain gets really bad (which has been every night for months now). I mainly use ibuprofen 600 mg (3 of the over the counter tablets). Unfortunately, over the years I've had several episodes of either severe gastritis or ulcers from taking NSAIDs, so now I always take a proton-pump inhibitor (e.g omeprazole) once a day while taking oral NSAIDs. I used to just take H2 blockers (ranitidine, ie Zantac) but when I got stomach pain even with that, I started with the omeprazole. I also take several types of opioid pain medication for other types of pain, but I find that NSAIDs are most effective for my painful finger joints.

Celebrex is the only cox-2 inhibitor NSAID (doesn't cause same degree of stomach irritation) still available in the US after the Vioxx debacle (really wish they hadn't thrown baby out with the bathwater; Vioxx and Bextra were much more effective than Celebrex and ALL NSAIDs cause increased risk of heart attack. Stupid FDA). I don't take Celebrex because it is too wimpy.

Another approach is topical. I've been trying Voltaren gel, which is a topical NSAID (diclofenac). It is not significantly absorbed into the bloodstream so risk of stomach irritation, bleeding or adverse effects on the kidneys is minimal. It is a bit inconvenient and messy to rub in, especially more than once a day, but a viable option if your insurance will cover it. Does work pretty well, too.

adreno

PR activist
Meriva curcumin. It's way more powerful than NSAIDs. It inhibits NF-kB, not just cox-2.

valentinelynx

I take curcumin as well (3 capsules a day of the Life Extension super bio-curcumin BCM-95 version (that is supposed to be many times more potent than even the Meriva). Don't know if it's helped or not with the joint pain. Perhaps I'll try stopping it at some point to find out. I take that (and many other supplements) to try to keep my inflammation down as much as possible. I still need the NSAIDs when the hand pain is bad.

Lotus97

A lot of my joint pain is symmetrical. What does that mean? I've heard that they use that to diagnose fibromyalgia, but I never actually found out what that meant. Doctors gave me Lyrica and gabapentin, but that didn't seem to help.

Ema

You might also look into DPA or DLPA (D- or L-phenylalanine).

This can help a lot with joint and other types of pain related to low endorphins. It inhibits the enzyme that breaks down endorphins so they stick around longer. I've found it quite useful.

Ema

Lotus97

You might also look into DPA or DLPA (D- or L-phenylalanine).

This can help a lot with joint and other types of pain related to low endorphins. It inhibits the enzyme that breaks down endorphins so they stick around longer. I've found it quite useful.

Ema
If it's related to endorphins then LDN could possibly help, but phenylalanine could cause problems for people with high norepinephrine.

NilaJones

Celebrex in high doses, topical ibuprofen or arnica, white flower oil (a chinese remedy, chemically similar to aspirin, absorbed through the skin, topical). Tons of yoga. Ice and heat.

For those who take NSAIDS: for me taking them with DGL was far more effective than proton pump inhibitors at preventing stomach pain.

Clodomir

Where is the sun?
Hi,

LDN helps me a lot for joint pain, but not for headache.
Some of us use LDN. For more info: go on google and type LDN and phoenixrising, you will find our experiences

Have a good day

The sun is back in Belgium.... After nearly 9 month...

Clodomir

Have any of you tried egg shell membrane? You can get it from Natural Facors or New Roots Herbal in Canada. Its supposed to be really good for joint pain, also curcumin is awesome. If you can get your hands on some Japanese Theracurmin, it works really well, and even acts as a pre-drinking solutions against hangovers!!
Ive also been using NervX360 to deal with my shooting pain I get on my feet at night, its all natural solution but it works :)