• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What do you do when a flair comes on to minimize it's impact

place

Be Strong!
Hello,

I have been doing great since having twins. I'm more fibro than ME. All of a sudden, i get a huge flair. poor sleep, pain, fog. I tried to lead a meeting this morning and it was horrible!

What do you take, do , pray ...to get the flair under control?

kim

SOC

What do you take, do , pray ...to get the flair under control?
I'm ME, not fibro, so what works for me may not be appropriate for you. :) The thing that works best for me by far is very high dose CoQ10 -- 2400mg ubiquinone equivalent. I usually do 600 mg ubiquinol (3x more effective) and 600 mg ubiquinone. That usually reduces (not eliminates) my PEM significantly.

In addition, I cut back on my physical activities -- no exercise, no walking beyond the minimum, and minimal housework -- and try to get a lot more sleep. Generally I get that by napping during the day when I can.

The only way I get decent sleep is with sleep meds -- trazodone works beautifully for me, but not for everyone.

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

I have fibro, and where I feel the pain is in my back and neck. The best thing for me is to do ice packs for 20 minutes, wait about an hour, and then do moist heat or get in the hot tub. After that, I do some gentle stretches.

Another thing that helps me with pain is an acupressure mat.

A good topical for pain is Arnicare. I use the gel form. They also carry a cream.

Good luck!

Gondwanaland

Like Ahmo suggested, a baking soda bath relieves a severe inflammatory flare for me as well. Other than being 100% of the time on a gluten and soy free diet, on a flare I must limit high histamine, nightshades, seeds and nuts as well. Thyroid support is fundamental and I must watch to not eat cruciferous vegetables daily, otherwise they suppress T3.

Right now I am juggling with anti-inflammatory herbs. I season my dinner salad with fresh rosemary and basil, had a strong gut/liver reaction to fresh oregano, so caution is needed with those. A mild tea of Olive Leaf had a suprisingly effective anti-inflammatory effect. I can't overdo with teas, otherwise I get a liver reaction.

I also use one or two sublingual drops of alcohol-free Milk Thistle extract 1x or 2x weekly. Magnesium oxide orally helped in the past. 1 sublingual drop of Me-B12 also does wonders for inflammation. I mixt the same MeB12 drops in moisturizer and massage my husband's sciatica and the pain dissipates in few minutes.

place

Be Strong!
Thanks everyone, I rested quite a bit this weekend but this morning was terrible . I left work around 12 today and continued to rest. It really felt like my brain was inflamed and my body just toxic. I feel somewhat better now. I took grape seed extract, ton of potassium, ate a large bowl if buleberries and strawberries and then sweated it out in the suna. It wasn't until after the suna, I felt my brain fog go away.

Interestly, I took diflucan last night, did not help. I wish I had anti viral or biotics avalable to test out.

often when I feel a little off, potassium clears it up within an hour.

Tonight I will try baking soda look into the mat and tomorrow, I will try the Coq10.

Thanjs again everyone! Will post back if I make progress!

place

Be Strong!
gondwanaland- using anti-inflamitory stuff really has helped in the past, i did not realize me12 would help as well. thanks!