• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What Do You Call It When...

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Hi,

My teenage son has episodes which I do not know the term for. He calls it "getting stuck." Basically he can't move on his own until someone moves his arms or legs for him, then he is usually able to move on his own, but is very, very weak. During these episodes he usually can't hold his head up and often slumps over and is unable to lift himself back up without assistance.

These episodes usually happen in the afternoon and last for 2-6 hours.

The night before last he didn't get enough sleep. The following day he was unable to move on his own all day. Today he was much better until around 6:00PM when it started again and lasted until he went to bed at 11:00PM.

Sometimes it seems to be triggered by exertion, and sometimes by overstimulation. Sometimes it just happens on it's own, with no discernible preceding trigger.

Is there a name for this? Are there theories about it's cause? Any treatments?

Thank you.

Ambrosia_angel

Have you been to the dr about this? We wouldn't be able to put a name to it but only recommend. I can't think of anything other than weakness which can have thousands of causes.
Is he actually paralysed when he can't move or is it severe weakness?

Also how long does it take him to recover? Are you asking whether he has PEM or not?

If he has PEM then the only thing to do is rest until it passes and try to pace.

SOC

That sounds like a form of petite mal epilepsy. Has he seen a neurologist?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I know someone with Neuro Lyme that has what sounds like that. Any loud noise, some visual thing like someone waving at her, can set one off. I'm not sure about waking up like that.