• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What causes uncontrollable cortisol spikes?

Hope78

Hi!

From time to time my cortisol goes crazy. I am normally one of these chronically tired low cortisol people, but for a long time now I have chronically elevated cortisol in between.

I found out that gut toxins and food intolerances played a huge role. As I eliminated this, I felt much better.

But unfortunately the symptoms come back and I am in a cortisol rollercoaster: one day low with fatigue and sleep, sleep, sleep. And then, out of a sudden I don't know what (it's not stress!) it raises ans stays gigh for nealry 24 hours. In this time I feel wired but exhausted, totally unable to sleep, high blood suggar.

In the mood cure from Julia Ross I read that in the cases of high morning cortisol (I am awakening always too early due to this and have a hard time getting back to sleep) parasites are found in nearly all cases.

Do you have any suggestions/experiences with this? I am unable to recover when there are always this etreme periods where I can find zero sleep and my body is totally exhausted, yet I am not tired!

Thank you and again: sorry for my poor English

Hope78

I discovered I am very sensitive to oxalates. Oxalates seem to trigger mastcells for me and this spikes histamine along with cortisol, adrenaline and other pro-inflammatory things from the mastcells

Hope78

I had a lot of testing while having different symptoms. So in the meantime I now how the different states feel and to which "hormones" they are related.