• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What category do you fall into for your diet?

Which category do you fall into for your Diet?

• Total voters
This survey may lead to some very interesting results.

Most of us realise how different foods can have a big impact on our health if we have been unwell for some time. In some ways, I suspect that people with ME/CFS/Fibro actually have a better diet than the average "healthy" person.

Please answer only one option (I appreciate you may be able to tick more) and respect each others choices. Remember, peoples decisions may be based on a variety of reasons and are not just based on health reasons alone. There are always valid reasons for both side of the fence, so be nice - :)

Please encourage others to participate in the survey. Obviously this survey is only for people who have or have had ME/CFS/CFIDS/Fibromyalgia.

NOTE: For the last option : I have not been Vegetarian/Vegan. (excluding any short trials) , a short period (say less than 6 months) is allowed assuming it was not immediately prior to onset.

NOTE: If you have been Vegetarian/Vegan for a significant period of your life, please choose one of the first 3 options that fits best. Again, I understand that many people change their mind regarding what to eat over time - thanks for showing each other a tolerant attitude.

I have put not vegetarian, but I was for several years while trying to get better. I got worse during this time but I was also trying to exercise during some of it.
Interesting - so you became vegetarian after you got ill (in an attempt to feel better?) but were not vegetarian during or before the time you became ill?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I would really need to check several as I was a vegetarian most of my adult life (which were the years leading up to ME/CFS), but began eating fish and chicken after I had been sick for a few years.

Sushi

Never, but I mostly eat a healthy diet without processed foods. I feel a difference if I don't get plenty of vegetables. When I got sick I was eating much poorer. I think I craved vegetables before I got sick.

peggy-sue

I'm "veggie" approximately 4 days a week, meat-eater for the other 3.
I fuss about the quality of life an animal has had before slaughter, I fuss about transportation of animals to slaughterhouses and I don't approve of the use of massive slaughterhouses.
I'm an omnivore. I feel lousy if I go veggie for too long.

Merry

When I followed a vegetarian diet, my digestive problems got worse. I think this was because I replaced some of the protein with carbohydrates.

Enid

I tried vegetarian Dan but found enormous cravings for meat (and fish) in a balanced weekly intake, and can only assume the nutrients are perhaps more important when the body is tryng to fight off illness.

During my lifetime I have never been a vegetarian. I have always had a very healthy well balanced diet, regularly exercised (pre ME) and maintained a similar weight. What has changed since developing ME is my body composition (not weight) due to lack of exercise and extreme hypoglycaemia. I feel terrible if my meat intake is low.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
i have been a vegetarian for 25 years - my whole family - icluding extended family is veggie. I now eat fish for my health, but draw the line there.

ukxmrv

I'm not sure why short trials of being a vegetarian or a vegan are excluded?

Lots of PWME try different diets to see if they help.

The vege and vegan diets I tried (post ME onset) led to much less functioning for me.

And Dan, how does this tie in with the book you have been selling on the internet?

I understand why such diets may not have been helpful for you.

The reason why I excluded short trials is because a short trial is not likely to have a long term benefit or detriment to your health.

What has made me do the poll is that I seem to meet an extraordinary high number of people with CFS/ME/FMS who are vegetarian/vegans, it seems MUCH higher than the normal population. So I hoped to do a poll to get an indication if my suspicians were correct and to start a conversations for everyone's benefit. However, it doesn't look like we will get a high enough response in this forum to make the number very meaningful.

In term of the book, I am not sure how to answer that question. The purpose of the poll was to see if we get an interesting results and then to start a conversation around that.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Im a meataterian. low carb with mostly meat, cheese and eggs and fibrous veges. My aim is to keep carbs low and too also lower insulin and improve insulin sensitivity. Generally cant tolerate carbs, makes me feel sick and put weight on, also get reactive hypoglycaemia from high gi carbs and have done blood sugar tests when feeling hypo and tested quite low. Low carb diet has lowered my cholesterol. pre cfs i was off and on low carb eating mainly to lose weight and did feel better on them. since cfs i cant tolerate carbs much at all. I initially put on alot of weight with cfs, i have managed to slowly lose 20kg and have about another 5-10kg to get down to pre cfs weight. Pre cfs i was very active with lots of exercise, weight training etc

anne_likes_red

Very low tolerance for carbs here too.
I've never been vegetarian and have always had what I believed was a good diet.
Where I've found I do best is keto-paleo in winter, paleo in summer. Seafood every day.

heapsreal I watched an interesting presentation by Chris Masterjohn at the 2012 Ancestral Health Symposium where I think he suggests anything that negatively impacts glutathione levels *may* cause carb intolerance...irrespective of what you're adapted to thrive on had you not become unwell.
My carbohydrate intolerance shows up as wacky blood sugar, and I think, from observation..a disturbed circadian cycle.

ETA found link: "Oxidative Stress and Carbohydrate Intolerance."
http://vimeo.com/channels/418298/52645372