• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What can too much vitamin B2/K2 deplete?

Earlier this year I tried to cut back to the supplements I was feeling the most benefit from, namely B2 and K2.
I gradually phased out other things and also got sent a higher dose of B2 than I wanted, but took it anyway (50mg, 3-4 times per day) and was taking up to 45mg of K2 split across the day.

When I tried to reintroduce other minerals I had lost all tolerance for them; couldn't even titrate up from crumbs.

Recently I tried a mineral supplement that contained 3mg of boron, and suddenly I was able to tolerate the other minerals with virtually no problems... I have read B2 and boron can deplete one another. This boron supplement has been sat in my cupboard for months and I was too scared to try it!

Things aren't quite fixed yet, but I feel like I'm on to something. I have been taking a fancy B complex, so hopefully that is covered. Does anyone know what other vitamins and minerals might be depleted by too-high doses of B2 or K2?

Thanks!

Asklipia

I was told that K2 uses up Vitamin D and A. But when I took D3 as a supplement, I did not feel as well as without taking it. I never took any vitamin A because I eat a lot of ghee, and liver once a week.
I found that I need vitamin D from light, which is consistent too with the activation of B2 by light.

All this (and boron too) is in a relationship with the use of calcium, which goes all wrong when there is inflammation.
I too was tremendously helped by B2 and K2. So much that now I do not supplement with anything anymore.

Last edited:

dannybex

I was told that K2 uses up Vitamin D and A. But when I took D3 as a supplement, I did not feel as well as without taking it. I never took any vitamin A because I eat a lot of ghee, and liver once a week.
I found that I need vitamin D from light, which is consistent too with the activation of B2 by light.

All this (and boron too) is in a relationship with the use of calcium, which goes all wrong when there is inflammation. I too was tremendously helped by B2 and K2. So much that now I do not supplement with anything anymore.

Hi @Asklipia ,

Can you explain in a little more detail the parts I have bolded? I thought that B2 was destroyed by light. Also, how does inflammation affect the use of calcium (and/or boron, or other minerals)?

Thank you. :)

Edit: Lastly, I've read that boron forms a complex with b2, also the b2 depletes boron, not sure which is true. Also am wondering if too much boron could deplete b2?