• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What are the various protocols?

Vincent

I keep reading this in posts like 'rich's' protocol, and X protocol etc. It would be helpful if anyone knows what these protocols are if they could redirect to a link or be sticky in the forum. If there are too many to list if someone could just post the most popular ones here on the forum.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I think there are as many protocols as there are people. Different people need different things. My doctors figured out what to test for and what supplements I needed and I am now doing very well.

snailhealing.jpg

Vincent

I think there are as many protocols as there are people. Different people need different things. My doctors figured out what to test for and what supplements I needed and I am now doing very well.

Yes I wish I had a cooperative doctor but as of now I do not. At least my doctor has never offered to treat CFS, though she does know its a serious problem for me. I'm going to ask her about it when I go this month, though I doubt anything will come of it.

I have located rich's protocol for methylation, I assume that is what everyone means when they say rich's protocol.

http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/CFS_-_The_Methylation_Cycle

arx

Hi,

I am suffering from B12 deficiency related problems and have explored two protocols in the Detox:Methylation,B12,.... forum,which is the forum where I pretty much live since I got sick. First one is Rich's Simplified Methylation Protocol and second which I am actually following is Freddd's Active B12 protocol. I am only familiar with the methylation and B12 treatment zone so I just know these. Anyway, I'm posting some links below which might help you to get started.

Forum(check out the sticky threads): Detox:Methylation,B12,Glutathione,Chelation

Rich's Protocol:

- Simplified Methylation Protocol Revised as of Today

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by richvank, Mar 31, 2011.
-Glutathione Depletion-Methylation Cycle Block: A Hypothesis For the Pathogenesis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by Richard A. Van Konynenburg Ph.D.
-Simplified Treatment Approach Based on the Glutathione Depletion- Methylation Cycle Block Pathogenesis Hypothesis for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) by Rich Van Konynenburg, Ph.D. II

Freddd's Protocol:

-Active B12 Protocol Basics
-BUILDING BLOCKS OF A DISORDER

Of course, these are just some threads which have information about the protocols which I have gone through. There are hundreds more. You might want to consider using the search option in the forum. A better way would be to go to the profile page of richvank and Freddd and go to the postings section. You will find whatever they have posted on that page and can see all the threads and all the content that they have posted. I do this a lot and has helped me find a lot of information.

Hope this was of help.

Vincent

I find the use of the 'reduced' vitamin forms to be very interesting. Essentially we all could be wasting money buying these cheaper preparations of various vitamins if our methylation cycle is messed up. I'm glad I stumbled upon this information before I spent any more money on various vitamins.

*GG*

Yes I wish I had a cooperative doctor but as of now I do not. At least my doctor has never offered to treat CFS, though she does know its a serious problem for me. I'm going to ask her about it when I go this month, though I doubt anything will come of it.

I have located rich's protocol for methylation, I assume that is what everyone means when they say rich's protocol.

http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/CFS_-_The_Methylation_Cycle

Look for his updated/modified version on ProHealth, it was put out in September, easier to read etc..

GG

Vincent

trial and error is the protocol, start low and go slow.

I agree that much of it is trail and error I was just looking for a starting ground. Currently I'm doing an adrenal fatigue regimen since I read a book about it. I'm also doing magnesium, carnitine, and ribose for energy. My next step is to buy the vitamins required for rich's methylation cycle.

madietodd, awesome link, very complex but I'll slog through it.

Page 20 of the pdf:

Eat organic food as much as possible. Prioritize: greens, berries, apples, soft skin fruit. Soaking non-organic produce in water with 1 tablespoon of both lemon juice and sea salt for 20 minutes helps remove toxins.

Does anyone do this? Salt and lemon would then make everything taste like salt and lemon.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Sorry, I can't remember where you are in this process, but some really good testing (not the usual stuff your GP might routinely order) but tests designed to reveal evidence of some of the conditions we know are common to ME/CFS--these tests are discussed on many threads: complete nutritional status, heavy metals, immune panels, gut panel, virus panels, common infections like Lyme, Bartonella, C. Pneumonia etc. (just off the top of my head)

This will give you an idea of some protocols that might be appropriate for your individual situation--rather than sort of shooting in the dark. Even if you know some of the things wrong, though, it is still trial and error to see what helps--but you will have a better idea of where to start.

Best wishes,
Sushi

taniaaust1

Im with what Sushi says.. it is better if you can find indications of the areas in which you have issues in so you know what kind of treatments or protocols to probably be trying.

For example..
I have very high copper on hair tests (so maybe chelation would be helpful to me)
I have various deficiences (so have been going this treatment route trying to fix these)
I have various hormonal abnormalities on tests (eg low cortisol.. so went the cortisol replacement treatment route for a while, testosterone implant for deficiency, progesterone cream etc)
I have reacting herpes (so could go an antiviral route if i could find a doctor who would treat it.. rather then shrugging off that Ive had 2 outbreaks over the inside of my mouth this year). Im also of the subgroup who had bad mono and also carry CMV.
I also have a polymorphism which causes methylation issues (so methylation procotols would be very good for me to do).
Im also trying the treatment route of trying to treat all my symptoms and coexisting things eg POTS makes many of the other ME symptoms worst.

Anyway.. what Im saying is if you can find out where your abnormalities are.. it helps as far as knowing what treatments to try

Rich's methyation protocol thou is probably something which is worth a go for everyone as tests for things like B levels will often be fine but we still may find some of those supplements useful.

Lotus97