August 8th, 2018: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME
Have you heard of our Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance? Please join Jody Smith in observing this day and honoring the 25% of those with ME/CFS who are most severely ill.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What are the commonly available immune modulators?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Gingergrrl, Nov 16, 2014.

1. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

200 mcg not mg, but yeah that is what I take. Hip has a thread about it here. He takes 400 mcg but I wanted to start out low. Selenomethionine is supposed to be a well absorbed form of selenium. I take it in the morning and I haven't noticed any effects other than my nails.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  2. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @halcyon Oops, I meant mcg not mg! It turns out we had a bottle of it in the house but it is long expired so I will need to buy a new one. The bottle says the active ingredient is from L-Selenomethionine so I assume that is the same thing. It also says that it works synergistically with Vitamin E. Do you take it with Vit E and if so, at what dose? I didn't read the thread from Hip yet but I will.

3. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I also think a trial of selenium is reasonable in Hashi's.

Most studies showing a reduction of antibodies used 200 mcg of selenomethionine. This is a chelates form of selenium bound to methionine. It's unclear to me if it is only this form that is effective but this is what was found to be effective. A study using a sodium chelate did not find statistically significant reductions, if I remember correctly. But, alas, no RCT has been done.

I take 200 mcg of selenomethionine per day, usually in the evening and notice no side effects at all. I don't have Hashi's though and take it for general immune support.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17696828/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23744563/

Gingergrrl likes this.
  4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Azithromycin is a macrolide antibiotic, and macrolides have anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory actions. For the anti-inflammatory effects, this study found the macrolide roxithromycin to be the most potent.

I am not sure why Valtrex is on the list at all; I am not aware of any immunomodulatory effects that this drug has.

physicsstudent13 likes this.
  5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @Ema Thanks and I bought a bottle today of L-selenomethionine that I will start as soon as it arrives. I bought the 100 mcg just to be safe but if I have no negative reaction, I will quickly bump it up to 200 mcg. I know it can help lower the Hashi's antibodies and I probably should have been taking it all along even if just for that. Now that I know it provides general immune support, it was a no-brainer to add to my supplement routine.

@Hip thanks for explaining re: azithromycin and although I won't be taking any antibiotics, I was just curious. I also had wondered why Valtrex would make the list and not Famvir so maybe it's inclusion was just an error.

A lot of the other ones on the list (Amantadine, Ampligen, Atesunate, or Etanercept) sound more rare and obscure and I don't know of anyone on PR who takes them (although I could be totally wrong about that of course.) Isn't Ampligen still not FDA approved and only in clinical trials or many thousands per month to try it privately?

6. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I've tried amantadine. It's a mild antiviral and some find it overly stimulating. I didn't notice much from it so I stopped taking it.

Artesunate is a derivative of artemisinin which is often used in the treatment of babesia. I've taken different forms of this as well and I definitely think it is anti microbial. Not sure about the immune modulating effects but a good one in my opinion to rotate in when dealing with Lyme and Co in particular.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  7. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Quite a few here have taken these at one time or another. If you try a search, you should find some information. There was a great deal of discussion of Ampligen earlier and some here have taken it.

Best,
    Sushi

Gingergrrl likes this.
  8. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Oops, sorry and I was totally wrong and glad I asked! I knew there had been lots of discussions about Ampligen but didn't realize that many people here had actually tried it. Is it FDA approved now? I was not familiar at all with the other ones and will google or do a site search later. Thanks again Ema & Sushi.

9. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    No, it isn't but a recent study showing some effect on Ebola might help it along.

Sushi

Gingergrrl likes this.
  10. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    This popped up in my email regarding selenium this morning:

Makes me wonder though...is it really over activating the immune system if it causes the immune system to collapse? Ultimately, the immune system is thus underactive and would seem to need some pepping back up potentially rather than calming down. Probably it depends on the timing...

Gingergrrl likes this.
  11. physicsstudent13

physicsstudent13 Senior Member

US
    I'm so sorry to hear about this dear friend. Parasites like toxoplasmosis could damage your brain when exposed to magnets. I have also lost my mental abilities and cannot speak or pronounce some workds.

I had neck swelling for 2 years and the back of my head went numb from loss of blood flow and after being attacked and beaten unconscious I was disfigured and lost my sight from Bell's Palsy. I began taking rocephin+gentamicin+clarithromycin and for 8 days I had neck pain and the swelling went down some. I am waiting for a Lyme Elisa test and have been disabled from brain fog and central apnea, PLMD seizures, hypnic jerks.
    what kind of infection do I have? Thanks so much

12. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

Does someone knows how much active ingredient contains one tablet of Imunovir ?
    And about the KDM protocol?:thumbdown:

Sancar likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.