• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What are the Best Alternative Treatments?

Right now I am at a 7--I have dysautonomia (which isn't ME, but has similar symptoms.) I found a Dysautonomia forum, as well as a youth network for people 26 and under with Dysautnomia.) Maybe these will be better resources since they are more relevant, but I do know some people on here have benefitted from or have been cured by alternative treatments.

I know there are so many alternative treatments out there, but I'm looking for promising alternatives that will hopefully get me up to a 8 or 9 (possibly back to normal--wouldn't that be amazing?) :)

My biggest problem is the fatigue, numbness, and dizziness from what I believe to be a lack of normal blood 02 levels? My hands and feet are often somewhat numb and cold, my skin is so pale (the lightest foundation from some makeup companies is like a bronzer on me), I have purple tinted nails, and sometimes get short of breath. My doctor tested me for anemia a few months ago (the results came back normal) so he gave me CereFolin NAC to try and said he really didn't know of any other options. I finished the samples, but didn't buy any more since I felt it was kind of pricy and didn't seem to make much of a difference (my doctor said I'd see a difference in 2 weeks if it did work.) Right now, I'm taking a multi-vitamin and Omega 3 along with an wholesome refined sugar-free organic diet (although I do break down and have ice cream every now and then.) :p LOL
I also do yoga, although I find it's more for the fun of it than as an alternative treatment.

I'm in my late teens, and so my brain is still developing and I'm going to be hitting that cognitive peak in a few years. I'm worried the lack of oxygen or whatever it may be, is going to take a long term toll, so I have this desire to work against the clock and do something to prevent this. I also want to be able to do more and not have these issues create problems that require me to change my plans based on how I'm doing that day. Does anone have any suggestions of where to go or what to do?

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Does your doctor know if you have Autonomic Neuropathy and/or Peripheral Neuropathy? My CFS is ok now, but I got Dysautonomia/POTS three and a half years ago. I was unable to sit or stand for quite a while. I was the worst case he had seen. A nightmare.

I was tested and so my doctor added to my supplements. Important supplements for nerve problems are Alpha Lipoic Acid,B12 and Benfotiamine among others. At least half of people with Dysautonomia have Autonomic Neuropathy/PN. I have improved greatly with the supplements (I take many) and diet. Even with normal blood sugar testing, the nerves do not like spikes we get when we eat, especially sugar and simple carbs. So my doctor told me to stop them and I had already stopped gluten before he told me to do that. I keep track of my blood sugar to make sure it is level. If the sugar is level, inflammation is kept down in the nerves and the supplements can work to heal.

Integrative MD's are great. You just have to find the right one that works for you. That is where I got all of my help. They know so much more.

taniaaust1

I dont know of any "alternative treatments" which work for dysautonomia. Has your doctor tried to find out exactly what kind of dysautonomia you have? If it is POTS you may have low blood volume adding to or causing the issue of the numb cold hands and feet etc.

If it is POTS.. that is treatable or at least treatable some with meds. eg Florinef which boosts blood volume. Of cause there are other things too if one knows one has this eg medical support stockings.. drinking a lot of water and having a lot of salt etc.

*If you do have POTS as the kind of dysautonomia you have.. be aware that teens often recover from POTS when they get older... so that diagnoses could be good news.

moblet

Unknown Quantity
Two modalities that are certain to recognise the kinds of symptoms you're experiencing are cranial osteopathy and acupuncture. Both have coherent models of physiology, something the modern medical profession lacks, and will consider constricted circulation to your brain and extremities to be very significant, and get in and try to treat it.

Cranial osteopathy recognises that strain in the dura mater can interfere with blood supply to the brain, and can treat same. I've found that acupuncturists can put a label this kind of problem but not put much of a dent in it, although they are very good at balancing circulation in the body generally. Both are capable of recognising and addressing local and systemic sympathetic/parasympathetic imbalance. I use cranial osteopathy as primary treatment and have gone through phases where I've also needed acupuncture to help reduce physiological imbalance.

If you pursue either or both of these, make sure the osteopath has at least Sutherland cranial training, and if trying acupuncture I suggest a variety that emphasises sensitivity and palpation, such as Toyohari.

I also found that classical homeopathy delivered me a step improvement physiologically, which was sustained, but that it couldn't do anything beyond that. Based on what you've reported I wouldn't say to run off to one of these straight away - I reckon you should start with one of the above to address your circulation-related issues - but it could be something to keep in mind if your healing seems to get stuck and needs a push forward.

You mention in your profile that your body's been like this for as long as you can remember - structural problems causing these symptoms are commonly acquired prior to or during birth (as mine were), something an experienced cranial osteopath, especially one trained in paediatric osteopathy, will easily recognise.

Thanks so much everyone! :) I've been busy with school and work stuff. It's been like months since I've logged on. o_O I really appreciate the replies, I never really heard about some of these treatments.

As for the form of dysautonomia, I'm pretty sure it's called generalized dysautonomia. Not sure how the treatment for this would differ from that of POTS (I know a lot of people on here said they have that.) I'm assuming it'd be somewhat similar, at least for the symptoms. I've had my dysautonomia since I was born -- like, it didn't develop later on, it's always been there (judging from the presence of my symptoms.) I've never had any kind of tests or anything for it, though.

The biggest issue is when I get such a low BP I get super dizzy, my feet and hands get cold/numb, my vision gets foggy, and I can't focus on anything visual or auditory. I can't really drive or do some sports-related stuff (which was a problem back when I was in high school, but now I don't really care.) Even when I sit and read or shop, I'll have to stop because my vision goes awry. It sucks.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I remember reading an article from dr bell and how he noticed narcotics like codeine etc improve pots/oi etc When i read the title saying alternative treatments i thought i wonder if kava extract would help, its not a narcotic but it helps people with pain and may affect similar receptors. Who knows, its cheap and safe to use, worth a shot??

Hip

My hunch is that the practice of chi gong may well help dysautonomia symptoms. Chi gong exercises tend to normalize the autonomic nervous system, so this may help improve your dysautonomia.