• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What and how to cook, when you can't cook

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Since hubby is here I decided to do some things. I made a fruit crumble, warmed up some Tom Yum soup and put the dishes into the dishwasher. WOW, got me POTSY. Back in my chair with my feet up. Hubby just got the dessert out of the oven. I can't wait to taste it.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Neither have I and I'm in the U.S. I bought some albino beets at the locals farmers' market a few weeks ago, but they spoiled before I got them cooked.

November Girl

I love roasted vegetables. I've started roasting mine in a pan. I add the vegs to the pan, drizzle with olive oil, a few tablespoons liquid (wine, broth or water), S&P, maybe some chopped garlic & herbs. Stir it all together, and cover with foil. Stir about 15 minutes before done and pop back in oven without foil. time depends somewhat on quantiy & cut-up size of vegs - will dig out some examples if anyone wants.

I've never been good about eating my vegetables, but have recently discovered that most everything tastes much better roasted. Just lightly coat whatever you have in olive oil (cut up broccoli, aspargus, carrots, red potatoes, cauliflower, etc.) put them on a cookie sheet (I use a nonstick silpat to line the cookie sheet and run it through the dishwasher afterwards) and bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. This is what we often do for our evening meal.

November Girl

i've never had golden beets, but I love beets, and prefer them roasted. I think the best way to roast beets is just to wash and wrap in foil. Use double folds to maintain moisture. You all are getting me hungry!

Hope123

Speaking of roasting...............roasted tomato sauce is superb especially when it's not summer and you're left to deal with winter tomatoes that are not as flavorful. It's easy. This is not what I use but it gives you an idea:

http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2009/08/easy-oven-roasted-tomato-sauce.html

Also, any roasted vegetable can be topped with some grated parmesan and tossed with pasta for a light meal.
Another good roasted vegetable are green beans.

Speaking of tomato sauces....this is Marcella Hazen's (a well-known old school Italian cook). Only 3 ingridients: onion, canned tomatoes, and butter. Get the best canned tomatoes you can -- Muir Glen brand, San Marzano type -- because this is such a simple recipe. Simple but requires time to cook. Use less butter for a healthier dish. This is a blogger blogging about the recipe:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/01/tomato-sauce-with-butter-and-onions/

Valentijn

A nice three ingredient dish we accidentally discovered tonight: heat up a can of coconut milk (I like the higher fat ones), add a container of pre-cooked shrimp, heat up the shrimp in the coconut milk, then pour it over rice. Worked great even with left over rice, and tasted really nice even though it wasn't seasoned at all.

Could also use raw shrimp and just leave it cooking in the coconut milk for a few minutes longer. Might even taste fine with canned shrimp, as a backup dish when unable to get to the store or do anything elaborate.