• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wessely's next pie

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Well I snuck it out again after reading @Snow Leopard 's post, but now that @trishrhymes has referred to it I'll have to snuck it back in again. The original version of this poster was quite funny because until I posted the link on PR the caption under our favourite pie-merchant's mugshot was "Professor Lord Simon Wessely" (which is why I wrote "ask the good lord himself" in the original post) - it looks like his spy on PR must have told him and he got it changed. He's got us proof reading his posters now - "PR" is not supposed to stand for "proof readers", but we're always happy to point out inaccuracies, especially when it comes to his lordship.

upload_2017-5-4_18-20-4.png

ash0787

What I hate is that they trivialize peoples feelings, they think there is a perscribed way that everyone should feel about a certain situation and they are better than you because they restrict what they feel into a narrow selection,
if there wife dies or something they will probably be happy if they feel a certain emotion according to some guide book they have read, its just weird and unnatural, they also want to 'manage' everybody as if we are robots and they are the programmer.

Also this sort of thing seems to go down particularly well in the UK but I doubt other cultures would stand for it,
another example of this would be how everything is regulated like less sugar less salt etc etc

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
The original version of this poster was quite funny because until I posted the link on PR the caption under our favourite pie-merchant's mugshot was "Professor Lord Simon Wessely" (which is why I wrote "ask the good lord himself" in the original post) - it looks like his spy on PR must have told him and he got it changed.

Seems to be that they appreciate our feedback. :rofl:

Still Professor Sir here though:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-ul...erence-tickets-32582840152?platform=hootsuite

ash0787

I know of a seemingly decent psych expert so I looked into it a bit, from what I can tell he recommends the complete opposite of what these 'positive education' and CFS therapist people do

These campaigns seem to target simple messages which are easy to understand ... the lowest common denominator,
I would say that psychology and philosophy is not necessary simple like that ...

IreneF

I am neither a fan of "Positive" thinking nor "Negative" thinking. I prefer "right" thinking which is looking at both the good and bad in life and then choosing to pursue something good. It is based in reality. Positive thinking only works while life is going well in your definition. It is not based in reality and the same applies to Negative thinking.

It gets scarier when those in Authority start pushing a "Positive" thinking (Chopra) or a "Negative" thinking (Hitler) mindset. The first one is far more dangerous than it appears at first glance. Here is a quote that says it best:

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.” CS Lewis
I beg to differ with Mr. Lewis. Not that I wish to live under a benign dictator, but I don't think he was thinking very clearly about what it means to live under a regime of pure greed; neither did he think clearly about the uncanny ability people have to ignore things that are good for them.

I have just found a fabulous app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.livehappy.android.happy&hl=de

'And just in case you were thinking of voting labour in the UK in the hope of reducing the influence of establishment megalomaniacs on government policy, read what this affable chap has to say:'

I think it does needs to be pointed out @TiredSam that Layard was part of the Blairite / NUlabour era.[or maybe
it should be old new labour!] and blair wasn't labour not sure what he was or is .mebbe an establishment megalomaniac, but I think he was a n opportunist and careerist who hikacked the labour party. the labour party has moved back to where it always has been , centre left , except for the 'blip' in its history when Blair was leader.
sorry about the political post but I think this coming general election is so important and wanted to clarify your comment

Last edited:

arewenearlythereyet

Chrisb

"Preparing young people for a flourishing life."

It would be interesting to hear how they prepare young people to avoid having ME. They are fortunate in having an expert there to tell them.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
"Preparing young people for a flourishing life."

It would be interesting to hear how they prepare young people to avoid having ME. They are fortunate in having an expert there to tell them.
He's there to tell them how to get the balance just right. Too much flourishing is a reliable predictor of ME, as is too little flourishing. It is important that young people learn exactly what the proscribed amount of flourishing is. It's going to take an army of experts.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I beg to differ with Mr. Lewis. Not that I wish to live under a benign dictator, but I don't think he was thinking very clearly about what it means to live under a regime of pure greed; neither did he think clearly about the uncanny ability people have to ignore things that are good for them.

My interpretation of the CS Lewis quote would be that while a regime of greed is quite easy to spot a more benign looking this is good for you but nevertheless proscribed no choice scenario is scarier because it's not so obvious.
Not to mention that dictates of 'this is good for you' will be repressive and overbearing. Even when seen as conforming people to the public good generally no good comes from the oppression to a tight conformity.

slysaint

It is important that young people learn exactly what the proscribed amount of flourishing is. It's going to take an army of experts.
http://www.theflourishingbusiness.co.uk/
Research from the field of applied positive psychology has shown that people who use their strengths more are:

Benefits-of-strengths-use-283x300.png

© CAPP

1. More likely to achieve goals
2. Perform better at work
3. More energised
4. More confident
5. Experience less stress
6. More resilient
7. More engaged with their work
8 . Happier
9. Have higher levels of self-esteem
10.More effective at developing themselves

https://www.charterforcompassion.org/a-flourishing-life
So how can we train our minds not only to cope in this environment, but to flourish?

http://theflourishingcenter.com/
How to get from Languishing to Flourishing?

this could be the next word to get taken over:
tumblr_m8mc1eGxwO1r6nm6ao1_500.png

MEMum

http://www.theflourishingbusiness.co.uk/
Research from the field of applied positive psychology has shown that people who use their strengths more are:

Benefits-of-strengths-use-283x300.png

© CAPP

1. More likely to achieve goals
2. Perform better at work
3. More energised
4. More confident
5. Experience less stress
6. More resilient
7. More engaged with their work
8 . Happier
9. Have higher levels of self-esteem
10.More effective at developing themselves

https://www.charterforcompassion.org/a-flourishing-life
So how can we train our minds not only to cope in this environment, but to flourish?

tumblr_m8mc1eGxwO1r6nm6ao1_500.png

I thought the euds ?sp were an alien species in Dr WHO