• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wessely coming to Devon 17th May: FND aka ME, PTSD and Shell Shock

Countrygirl

Prof Sir Simon Wessely is taking part in a three-lecture event at Seale Hayne, Newton Abbott, Devon UK. One of the lectures is on FND...........Functional Neurological Disorder............the new label given to UK ME patients.

Can anyone attend? It is free.

http://www.discoverhannahs.org/whats-on/shell-shock-centenary-public-lectures

Shell Shock Centenary Public Lectures
Friday 18 May 2018 7:00pm The Great Hall, Hannahs at Seale-Hayne

Three linked public lectures by world experts on Shell Shock and related disorders - including Functional Neurological Disorder [FND], a current and common and cause of severe disability. The location is the Grand Hall of Hannahs at Seale Hayne, just outside Newton Abbot, a multi-purpose site primarily supporting people with disabilities but with conference facilities set in a complex of grand Edwardian buildings. The site was originally an agricultural college but was commandeered as a large military hospital for the treatment and rehabilitation of the epidemic of shell shock that was peaking exactly 100 years ago in response to the horrors of industrialised warfare during World War One.

These lectures explain what shell shock is and how it relates to other military disorders such as PTSD and Gulf War Syndrome and similar disorders affecting the civilian population, namely Functional Neurological Disorder (FND) a highly misunderstood but common, and often severe, disorder at the interface of neurology and psychiatry.

Chair: Dr Tim Nicholson (Consultant Neuropsychiatrist and Senior Lecturer, Institute of Psychiatry Psychology & Neuroscience, King's College London)

20:20-21:00

“Functional Neurological Disorders (FND) and shell shock”
Dr Jon Stone (Consultant Neurologist and Reader, Edinburgh University)

FREE - click below to register for your free place

Countrygirl

Now, I like this!

It is most appropriate to Wessely's visit to Devon and the IAPT nonsense that is being rolled out across the UK.

http://kozachekart.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/the-sensational-psychosomatic.html

(Be aware that the author describes the first stage of a mass execution.)

"In the days of the Malleus, if the physician could find no evidence of natural illness he was expected to find evidence of witchcraft: today if he cannot diagnose organic illness, he is expected to diagnose mental illness."-Dr. Thomas Szasz

Throughout history, humankind has attributed misunderstood physical phenomena, especially manifestations of peculiar physical symptoms in a person, to metaphysical causes. When superstition ruled the day, people with misunderstood diseases were most likely burned as witches or thought to be possessed by the devil. While medical science has slowly chipped away at superstition, physical illness that cannot readily be explained through routine medical tests is treated with suspicion that often results in accusations of hypochondriasis, psycho-somatic, or "functional" disorders. Many of these are considered "a diagnosis of exclusion."

I thought of this execution parade I had witnessed so many years ago as I wrote about the plight of patients labeled with conversion, or somatoform diagnoses on the road to seeking help for their very real and very painfully debilitating diseases. For this kind of labeling is like an execution. It can mean an end to the life of finding a diagnosis. The death of a possible treatment.
Indeed, much of the writing in this regard from health care professionals encourages the use of such labels to discourage a patient from continuing to seek help and contrives to end the possibility of health care institutions and future practitioners from providing it. It is appears to disproportionally affect women and invoked as a convenient way of cutting costs.

And finally:

The Somatizer Witchcraft Trial 24" x 18" Pencil On Paper

We have determined by how our judgement sits
That you are guilty of being a somatizer witch
You have hexed your body to believe in its pain
by the poisonous spells from your wicked brain
You claim that an allergy caused your rash
Confess that its witchcraft or you’ll get the lash
You say that you hurt from a swollen aorta
We know that it is goblin conversion disorder
You have no proof that you have migraine
You are a hyper vigilant succubus, its very plain
There is no such thing as collagen defects
only spells and a hypochondriasis hex
You are sentenced to mental retraining devotional
To learn that your pain is only emotional
Believe in your guilt and you will get well
Deny it and you will burn in Hell

Countrygirl

Have plenty of spare energy today???:rolleyes:

Would you like to waste it getting really, really angry???:p

Then this is just what you need!

This is the man who is coming to Devon to spread more damaging untruthful information on the patients.

Rotten tomatoes anyone??? :D

Here is an article that was written by Margaret Williams in Dec 2017 about Wessley's appalling attitude towards people with ME, the immense harm he has inflicted and how he has prevented research into this disease for the last three decades............plus, of course, some of 'those' quotes........which the little rascal denies from time to time.

Attachments

• ME - Margaret Williams Dec 2017.pdf
    460.3 KB · Views: 12