• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Well ventilated room while sleeping in winter?

Hello,

would like to ask, how do you manage ventilation in winter (if you live somewhere where in winter it is often bellow freezing) to have good night sleep and not to get cold?

With my MCS I truly need to figure this out. I dont have termostat at home so this is a bit complicated.

How to deal with this? Air cleaner or something like that? Does that exist?

Thank you very much!

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi @pepous - There are lots of air cleaners which might work for you: https://www.amazon.com/hepa-air-purifiers/b?ie=UTF8&node=510192

I have a unit that is probably close to 20 years old and still works well. These don't provide ventilation as such - I think only an open window would do that. But mine circulates and cleans the air. It also provides white noise which helps me sleep.

I just open the window a tiny crack then sleep under a big pile of blankets. I quite like sleeping in cold rooms anyway.
Yes but I get cold very easily and not sure if additional featherbeds may prevent it when breathing that cold air?

@Mary - Thank you. I will think about the investment :). I think bad air is one of the reasons why I have "depressions" at home in winter. And feel that relief when going out to light and clean air.

And one more question. Is there any matress recomended for CFS :)? How much is worth to invest in it?

would like to ask, how do you manage ventilation in winter (if you live somewhere where in winter it is often bellow freezing) to have good night sleep and not to get cold?
I'm not sure where you are, but newer windows in Europe at least have adjustable vents built into the top of them. So that's letting in some fresh air without getting a proper breeze or having to leave windows unlocked at night.

I also like using an air-purifier at night, since it also generates a very consistent "white noise" to make it harder for background noises to wake me up.

If you are leaving a window open at night, you really just need the tiniest of cracks. Just enough that air can move through at all.

And one more question. Is there any matress recomended for CFS :)? How much is worth to invest in it?
For me it was a matter of getting a very thick foam mattress, and a thick foam mattress topper. Beyond comfort, preferences would probably be influenced more by MCS than ME/CFS.

I'm not sure where you are, but newer windows in Europe at least have adjustable vents built into the top of them. So that's letting in some fresh air without getting a proper breeze or having to leave windows unlocked at night.

I also like using an air-purifier at night, since it also generates a very consistent "white noise" to make it harder for background noises to wake me up.

If you are leaving a window open at night, you really just need the tiniest of cracks. Just enough that air can move through at all.

For me it was a matter of getting a very thick foam mattress, and a thick foam mattress topper. Beyond comfort, preferences would probably be influenced more by MCS than ME/CFS.

I can open window this way.

https://www.google.gr/search?q=plas...QZfBboQ_AUIBigB&dpr=0.9#imgrc=hhXHfnR4hFywTM:

But it still could be too much. Maybe it is somehow adjustable, dont know.

PS: I am from Czech republic!

I can open window this way.

wind1.jpg

But it still could be too much. Maybe it is somehow adjustable, dont know.
Yeah, that's a pretty huge opening for night time in the winter!

Thinking about that the easier solution would be to sleep under pile of blankets as @Cheesus suggested + scarf on neck and cup on head and to sleep with opened ventilation in window.

Isnt this the best solution? Or cold air by itself will make me sick? :(

wind1.jpg

Cheesus

I think you should just try sleeping with the window open a tiny crack one night and see how you get on. It can be really cold in my room but I don't need a hat or scarf or anything as long as my blanket is thick enough. I like breathing the cold air. it's fresh and makes me feel more snug knowing how warm I am under the blanket. The only downside is that the bit of the bed that you're not in gets really cold, so when you move about you can find yourself shifting into a cold spot.

Some people feel the cold more keenly than others, however. My ex-girlfriend could only sleep if the room was like a sauna and the blanket was 3 feet deep. Later experience confirmed my suspicion that she was, in fact, cold blooded :D

Last edited: