• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wedge incline foam pillows?

I need some help in where to get a wedge inlcine pillow that is not made of foam. All the ones I can find are made of urethane or polyurethane foam, which of course is very bad for allergies and chemical sensitivities. I need one to sleep with, have been using two pillows for years, but have developed back and neck problems. Have very bad sinus congestion and breathing problems without elevating head. Seems like someone would make one out of cotton or something besides urethane foam. Elevating head of the bed is not a good option for me, due to POTS, dysautonomia, heart problems, etc... Any help on where to find one appreciated.

Thanks

Raindrop

I used to use the wedge for many severe sinus infections. Poor sleep, bad neck and back.
I got an adjustable bed some years ago. Never EVER regreted this!! I have POTS and never
noticed any worsening. You can adjust it to ANY amount of "wedge" or incline. Hugely
helpful for sinus and breathing!! (even with slight elevation) Also GERD. As well, very helpful for elevating feet and keeping head low when you want to do that. I don't know about any natural fiber wedges, but after
suffering with wedges for YEARS, I can tell you how valuable an adjustable bed is. Can even
elevate it all the way up on the head for "working" or reading in bed during the daytime when
your POTS is too severe to sit up in a chair.

PNR2008

I bought three zippered wedges from Hammacher Schlemmer and at first they felt wonderful but soon they were too hard and hurt my back and neck. Odd because I used the memory foam contour pillows for years and I hate hospital beds, so I gave up and just use four regular pillows plus my memory foam one. Gave away the wedges and never looked again but the natural ones are out there.

taniaaust1

All the ones I can find are made of urethane or polyurethane foam, which of course is very bad for allergies

Are you sure you react to polyurethane (memory) foam. I got a memory foam pillow of the style recommended by many physios (It has neck support higher areas) and it was approved by an allergy association. Im actually been fine with it.

Thanks for the replies. I am sensitive to urethane and polyurethane finishes, and if you google: are foam pillows safe or toxic, you get lots of info about VOC's and their dangers. I guess I will keep looking.

Thanks

Raindrop

Gosh, so frustrating that it is so hard to find what you are looking for! Definitely know the feeling! Maybe try some natural product (not sure which)
companies or something? Best of luck!!

Aerose91

I know this is an old thread but I read on Dr Myhills site that the two types of polyurethane react very differently. She said that the liquid version used as coatings on any number of things was much worse than the bound version- like in foams. I guess the VOC's from the foams off-gas much quicker.