• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Watch Your Supplement Strength

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I recently read some possible negative effects of ginko biloba, which I had thought was benign. I checked my bottle to see if I was taking more than the recommended amount and was surprised to see that I was. Then I looked at the strength of the capsules and saw that they were 120 mg, not the 60 mg that they once were. They are the same brand that I have been taking for years and I have no idea when they changed. :aghhh:

Since then, I have bought a different brand of a couple of supplements because my usual brand was not in stock. When I checked the strength when I got home, they were higher than the brand I had bought before. I think I am going to have to start writing the strength on my shopping list. :ill:

taniaaust1

I think Ginko biloba also has some drugs in which one shouldnt be taking when taking it due to drug interactions so make sure your doctor always knows you are taking it when being given new things (sorry I cant remember now which drugs). Unfortunately Ginko was no memory aid for me.

Anyway. I thought this post was a good reminder for people. I always do check my doses when burying things, very important.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
That's a good reminder to check labels for changes, and check supplements for interactions with drugs. Sometimes your doc can help with interactions, but if they feel overwhelmed, you might have to look it up yourself. There are now some university sites that maintain lists of interactions, side effects, and known and reported benefits of supplements.

Also, if something has the potential to have a positive effect, it has the potential to have a negative effect.