• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Warrior/worrier on mao a and comt?

musicchick581

One study said mao a is responsible for warrior gene and others say comt is responsible. Does anyone know which? Also, what does 2R, 3R, 4R, or 5R mean in relation to MAO A and warrior/worrier genes?

I read that T means lower activity and G means higher activity. With men, warrior means aggression but in women it has a different effect and is related to happiness. Any ideas?

Mine is MAO A rs 909525 TT
rs 6323 TT
rs 3027399 GG

manna

to me, a man who is warrior is one who sees the futility and stupidity of agression and finds a way to live without it in a world gone mad for it. now that truly takes courage, yes? not that im a warrior as im still aggressive. there is only the peacefull warrior any other is fearfull and hence, by definition, very unwarriorsome like scaredy wimp...in men, warrior means peacefull. he is peacefull because he is not afraid and fearfull like the aggressive man. excuse annd carry on, felt i had to clear that up.

One study said mao a is responsible for warrior gene and others say comt is responsible. Does anyone know which? Also, what does 2R, 3R, 4R, or 5R mean in relation to MAO A and warrior/worrier genes?
It's a vast generalization regarding a relatively small difference. No version of the gene makes anyone anything in regards to personality.

Martial

There is no set gene mutation that is going to entirely alter a persons behaviors and personality, I respect methylation research and the work and benefit that has come from it, sometimes though certain researchers appear to go over evident based practice and into weird theories and ideas which leaves a bad taste in my mouth and can be a turn off to new comers to this type of research.

Nothing meant against you personally at all of course, I just don't understand where they pull some of this info like when I first read about "personality types" of "over" and "under methylators", another poorly understood concept that made vague connections and statements based on idealogical models, this was my first experience with methylation and made me dismiss its flawed logic very quickly. I was very turned off from methylation research and articles for some time until finding the really groundbreaking and practical things useful to actually make headway in the right direction for the future of medicine. Finally understanding and getting into what methylation and these COMT mutations really represent!