• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Warm weather is OI / POTS nightmare!

rosie26

Today it's 30+ degrees celcius and i'm totally floored!
I can't take the heat either, nor the cold. Luckily where I live the summer temperature rarely reaches 30+.
I don't know what to suggest but cold showers and keeping your hair wet in between showering to help bring body temperature down. Also take all clothes off except underwear, if you can. I had to do this one unusually hot summer day, the summer before last.

mango

I bought her a large, gel-filled doggy cool mat.
I use doggy mats too :) Very effective, would absolutely recommend them!

ETA: Mine are the completely dry kind, no need to soak them in water or anything like that. I usually don't even put them in the fridge, they are cooling enough as is.

sb4

I have been trying to get as much sunlight as possible recently, but I feel much worse now.

We need the UV light, yet the heat causes vasodilation so it is a very tricky situation.

I have had some help with this by rubbing butter on my skin. I try to get as much sun as possible but run into big trouble with the heat. The butter helped my skin sweat again. Also don't eat before going out in sun.

jimells

Do you take this in the morning or later in the day?

I take 5 mg ceterizine twice a day and 100 mg cimetidine early AM. The H1 blocker is the most important for me. I think the H2 blocker helps some - not exactly a ringing endorsement - but not when it causes heartburn.