• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wanted: a small, inexpensive at-home FIR sauna

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I have been feeling overloaded with toxicity lately, and it has been especially horrible on my brain and sleep. I am looking to find a small, inexpensive sauna unit.

I have already tried the Biomat ($1600--very expensive!) and not very impressive considering all the hoopla around it. I have also tried to set up a sauna in my bathtub using brooder lights and mylar sheets over and around the tub to enclose the heat. This was recommended by a FB friend. But it required a lot of effort to set up and was not effective enough.

Now I am looking into these type of sauna units. I don't know if they are any good...? Does anyone have any experience with them? This one is only $175 and has lots of good reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Portable-Foldable-Sauna-Detox/dp/B002POAYDW
51fNJ4QTHtL.jpg

Any useful input would be appreciated. Thanks.

cigana

I have one of those - certainly makes me sweat, though it does take time (around 30 minutes). But then it is usually hard for me to sweat. My friend has tried it and she will begin sweating after around 10 minutes, so I guess it depends on how easily you sweat!

leela

DB I think that style of portable sauna might be way too outgassy for one as MCS as you :(

leela

I'm so sorry! Maybe you could do the mask thing but might you possibly absorb the VOCs via your pores? :eek:

Did you feel a good effect from the biomat? If so there's a way less expensive (and less heavy) version for $210
http://www.amazon.com/Therasage-Infrared-Heated-Healing-Medium/dp/B0039ORBMY
It's not a sauna, but it's pretty great. I'm on mine every day.

The thing is I gave it as a gift to a family member several years ago (who later gifted it back to me) so I have no idea if it smells when new.

The full-body one is $500. But this medium one, which covers my back, does a good job and really feels good (I use it for pain relief). You could maybe get on it, throw one of those mylar blankets on top of you and then a couple regular blankets, and I bet you'd sweat. If it did be smelly you could put a mylar blanket around it maybe and tape it shut?

I wonder if there is a practitioner in your area who has a FIR sauna you could use until you find your perfect home solution?
Sometimes they'll let you pop in there for like $20. Places that do nutritional IVs, acupunturists, colonic hydrotherapists, that sort of place. You never know.

That's all I got right now. Feel better DB!! xoxoxo

Hanna

When I thought about buying a sauna I had a look on the info from Dr Wilson's site http://drlwilson.com/articles/sauna_therapy.htm
He strongly recommends near infra red saunas because of the EMF thing. This page gathers a number of items which fit the low chemicals+ low EMF recommendations.
I still keep in mind this possibility, as I deal also with tons of toxins.
NB : I personnaly love the cotton tent with the wooden structure (first mentionned if I recall it right). Pricey, though...

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hey there @leela
It looks like they have the bigger version (72" X 32") for just $149. http://www.amazon.com/Large-Infrare...sbs_hpc_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1670DJYHAQF4VX1M5EGF

I am wondering how you use yours..? Does it have a hot enough setting to make you feel hot enough to sweat like a sauna? I see it has rocks like the biomat, which was very uncomfortable and yes, very heavy to schlep around. Is this one less rocky-hard and comfortable enough to sleep on?

Thanks for pointing it out to me. I had never known about it.

leela

Yes, DB, the Therasage (and it looks like the one you linked to) has flat jade discs rather than being filled with channels of small stones, so it is much lighter and you can sleep on it (though obvs, you're still lying on stones.). The netting that holds the stones on is a bit scratchy on bare skin but a towel or clothing barrier takes care of that.

That full-sized knock-off one you linked too is really tempting; there's always an MCS risk when you're heating vinyl/glue...but it can be isolated from outgas more easily than a whole sauna setup. Mylar emergency blankets and foil tape have been my lifesaver in this regard for many things.

My therasage mat gets really hot. I have apparently lost the ability to sweat, but I do get a bit clammy on the higher settings--and I just lie on top of mine, I don't isolate sauna-style.

I feel pretty certain (if the discount one has the same temp range as the one I've got,) you could get quite sweaty with that thing in a dedicated sleeping-bag sort of setup. You could maybe even sew a washable towel-tube you could slip into on top of the mat, with all that inside a sleeping bag or blanket pile.

As I was falling asleep last night I was thinking of you and solutions for the immediate toxic now.
The other night I was feeling so liver-attacky and horrible, I took a bath with the usual culprits (magnesium flakes, baking soda, eucalyptus oil, rosemary oil) but i added a whole big chunk of grated fresh ginger. It stung my skin a tiny bit, but I think it made a massive difference. You might want to try some different things like that in a hot bath. I really don't tolerate hot baths or saunas any more, but that ginger bath seemed to clear whatever was bothering me and was worth the POTSy weirdness. Unrefined sea salt 1.5 cups plus baking soda 1.5 cups in a hot bath is an effective detox for toxins including radiation.

Another cheap interim action might be taking 4-5 activated charcoal tablets on an empty stomach. Or any binder. Just to mop up the worst of whatever you're going through right now. Charcoal has saved me a bunch of times. Chlorella, clay, chia seeds, coffee enemas.

Thinking of you, hoping you move past this quickly!!
(((db)))

love,
~leela

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Thanks @leela That was really informative and helpful. :thumbsup:

I finally got a dehumidifier for my bathroom. Fearing too much moisture--> mold had put a big dent in the amount of bathing I've doing the last few years. So now that I was all ready to start doing hot detox baths again, we have the drought... and with that water rationing! NOT exactly doable to take a hot bath every day in a drought. Arrghh.

I am thinking I will have to alternate the baths with other detox sweats and maybe that mat thingy will be a good idea. I am still mulling over my options.

QUESTIONS: Where do you get magnesium flakes?
Where can you buy unrefined sea salt by the 20 lb bag?
And... have you found an alternative to that once fantastic TD-glutathione from Lee Silsby... which now gives me 6 week long rashes? :(

leela

QUESTIONS: Where do you get magnesium flakes?
Where can you buy unrefined sea salt by the 20 lb bag?
And... have you found an alternative to that once fantastic TD-glutathione from Lee Silsby... which now gives me 6 week long rashes? :(

Regular epsom salts are magnesium, and cheaper than the ones I have lately been indulging in from Life-Flo:
http://www.vitacost.com/life-flo-pure-magnesium-flakes-2-75-lbs
http://bit.ly/1ya1WJh
if you've not used vitacost before you can get $10 off a first order of $30 minimum with that second link. I'm not attached at all just happy if you can save some dough.

I've not used this place but 10lbs for $25 is a good price if it's legit dead sea salt:
http://www.cleopatraschoice.com/bulk-dead-sea-salt.html

"Real Salt" is good too, and I bet you could find a better deal than this through your local co-op or something:
http://www.amazon.com/Real-Salt-Bulk-Granular-25-pound/dp/B001KWCXEI
A 26 oz bag is usually around $6.

Truth is I often use the bulk-bin refined sea salt from whole foods--better than crappy iodized table salt but cheap and easily available. Just has less minerals.

I have not found an alternative GSH unfortunately. I also became allergic to both versions of their TD cream. I just ordered some liquid liposomal GSH even though it has potassium sorbate. Will report if it is effective or not. SO bummed about the lee silsby. I wonder why we both developed that reaction? They specialize in super-sensitive children--it seems weird.

And P.S. I understand about the drought but if ever there was a reasonable use for water it is right now in your suffering, before you find your next solution. It's not like you're washing your Porsche and powerwashing your driveway.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
redmond real salt $68 for 25 lbs w/free shipping:
http://www.sfsalt.com/redmond-real-salt?b=1

ETA: this website has great prices on bulk sea salt too.

Wow, that is a great find. Thanks!

And P.S. I understand about the drought but if ever there was a reasonable use for water it is right now in your suffering, before you find your next solution. It's not like you're washing your Porsche and powerwashing your driveway.

I agree in theory, but there's the part about the fines enforced upon those who go over their water allotment of 10 units per month. Yeah.... that part!

leela

This looks like just a tent, not FIR.

GG
Yes, @ggingues , it is just a tent-shaped mylar emergency blanket. It could serve as a reflective space in which to
use FIR lamps, heaters, and/or pads. DB had been taping mylar sheets to her bathtub and using lamps but
setup/breakdown was a pain. I thought this could be a less labor intensive setup, with little financial outlay.

The problem with portable saunas is outgassing for the chemically sensitive. This thread was about finding safe, small inexpensive options.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hey @Dreambirdie did you ever decide on a sauna option? I'm curious if you did, what you got.
I just saw this
http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Sur...51_b6_3_p?ie=UTF8&refRID=08STD0BH71SGJS0AT1ZB
which might be good in combo with a FIR mat and/or those FIR clamp lamp thingos. It does need a rope
to hold it up.

I have been sick with a viral bug and have put off buying anything for now. I am leaning towards one of those big heating pads.... not sure which...?

Did your expensive brand outgas very long? The knock-off is so much cheaper, but I think it's vinyl and that will never completely outgas. Not sure what to do. It's never easy to choose, when you don't want to spend lots of money (AGAIN!) on uncertainty.

For now I am doing epsom salt baths. They are cheap and easy.