• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Waiting to test with VIP

D

dmarie4301

I havent kept up with all the chat here on the forum, but I thot I saw something that said it's best to wait til maybe the summer to get tested with VIP, because they are maybe making better tests?

What does anyone know about this? By the poll, it looks like the culture test is catching more positives than the PCR.

Thanks,

Donna

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
You're more likely to carry a latent virus than test for a active infection. Latent means they found it in the white blood cells; an active infection means they found in the blood outside of the cells; ie - it made its way out of the cells and was looking for more cells to infect.

Marylib

Now I get it -- thanks Cort

Thanks for that Cort. Now I think I finally understand the difference. Very creepy image -- the active retrovirus cruising around looking for more cells to infect. Latents hang out with the white blood cells. That image hit home, even to my tattered brain.

D

dmarie4301

Latent vs. Active

Yeah, I knew that. And that the culture is for latent, PCR for active. Have they or are they (meaning WPI), creating an antibody test??? Is that what we're waiting for??? Should we wait longer before we test with them?? I thot I read somewhere someone saying wait, cuz the test will get better???

Thanks

Andrew

I got tested right away because I could not wait to find out what's going on. But I don't doubt that by waiting you will end up with a test that has undergone more validation. And also possibly cheaper.

Alice Band

PWME - ME by Ramsay
VIP told me that they are looking at introducing a Western Blot test. However, there are licensing issues to sort out. Could not give me a date or a hint of a date. (but they did say that it would not be cheaper).

R

Robin

I got tested right away because I could not wait to find out what's going on. But I don't doubt that by waiting you will end up with a test that has undergone more validation. And also possibly cheaper.

Exactly. I'd love to get tested now but 650 bones is a lot for people on disability. For some that's more than their monthly check.

I figure, if I've had it this long, it's not going away. If the replication studies pan out then I'll have some evidence to use if I have to get in an argument with insurance. And, the HHS task force's working group is studying testing methods and coming up with a standard test so that should help.