• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wahls diet, mitochondria

maddietod

Yes, my $30 scale makes the process really easy. I can measure out 4 days' worth of servings all at once.

She says to eat 100g each of yellow/orange, blue/black, and red fruits/vegetables. It's easiest to get my colors by mixing fruits. That frees up a lot of energy to focus on cooking quality vegetables. Also, I can get fruit frozen, and it's that much less chopping and storing in the fridge.

maddietod

I have the first one, the EatSmart. I've had it for a few years, and don't remember what was around to compare it with.....it might have been the cheapest one, then.

I measure everything before cooking, in increments of 300g, so I know how many portions I'll have at the end. I cook with as little water as possible, and I add all of the cooking water to the portions. A pound is 454 grams, so I usually make 2 pounds to get 3 portions, often plus onion to end up with 4.

xchocoholic

Dogtorj has info on avoiding glutamates that fits
into this puzzle too. He's a veterinarian who
experimented on his patients. Gives a whole
new perspective on how medical research could
be conducted.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
It all tastes like liver and onions; no flavor from the heart at all. I picked those two because my minimal research indicated that that's where the most nutrients are. So yeah, liver tastes pretty strong, but next time I'll start with more onion. I could see doing this once a week, when I roast my chicken.
I like chicken liver stir-fried with green pepper, and tomato. I don't even generally like green pepper, though I like the other colors.

maddietod

I found Dr Wahls has an "advanced" option where you avoid all legumes and grains :)

I'm very against corn being allowed (for not-advanced).

That's how I'm doing the diet. By weight order, I eat non-starchy vegetables, colorful fruits, animal proteins and bone broth, and micronutrient foods (flax, nutritional yeast, seaweed, blue-green algae, chlorella, spirulina). Sometimes nuts and seeds.

I'm not a purist. I put soy creamer in my occasional coffee. I keep granola around (her recipe) for when I want a little hit of a different flavor. I'm just testing out having massive amounts of natural nutrition in my diet, without the possible stress of common allergens.

xchocoholic

I consider myself mostly paleo. So probably 98% of
the time my diet is whole foods. I'd have a gf cookie
or two in a heartbeat if someone is giving them
away. I quit buying them because I have no self control
when it comes to sweets.

Fwiw it takes our bodies days or weeks to undo
the damage caused by eating the foods we're intolerant
of. This is where a magic pill would come in handy.

I just had to give up eating fruits with skins. They're ok
if I skin them or juice the skins. I just can't digest
them even when taking candidase with cellulase.

I may have tried eating too many too early too. Maybe
in time my digestion will improve.

Tc ... x

I like chicken liver stir-fried with green pepper, and tomato. I don't even generally like green pepper, though I like the other colors.

I love bell peppers and tomatoes, but everyone with pain should try 3 to 6 months with no nightshades. I haven't tried eliminating all of them, but I eat very few.

brenda

I eliminated nightshades 6 months ago and have had no pain relief, but that was not the reason I quit them. I am following basic macrobiotic principles but with meat and fish a few times a week so also quit eggs. The improvement is slow but it is happening apart from a thyroid setback. I read today that gluten free whole grains are a much better food for people with thyroid problems and meat is too 'rich'. I could not eat too many veggies due to reacting to too much folate and a raw veggie diet in the past was not suitable due to the folate. Grains well soaked and sprouted before cooking make me feel more grounded and less hungry.

Another thing I am not doing... has anyone added nutritional yeast?

Dr Wahls says daily if possible. She also says Brewer's yeast is good, which is different than nutritional yeast according to Google.

They don't sound good to me. I will have to learn more.

Little Bluestem

I remember Mom giving us Brewer's yeast as a child. I think she got it from the nutrition guru of the day - Adele Davis.

Little Bluestem

Okay, now I want that. But with orange, yellow, or red bell peppers, not green!
You might try using a mixture of green and ripe peppers. The stronger flavor of the green pepper seems to 'stand up to' the strong flavor of the chicken liver. I only make this when I have garden ripe tomatoes, preferably plum type tomatoes.

maddietod

I've added nutritional yeast, but so far I can't seem to eat that, and the flax, and the algae, all in one day.

I got curious about measuring in cups vs. grams. On page 63 she says "In a typical day, I will eat 6 cups (600 grams) of collards, kale, or other green leafy vegetables. I will usually also eat 100 grams in each of the three color groups...." This plus 1-2T nutritional yeast, 1-2t dried kelp, and 1t algae...and then protein.

But in the diet log at the end of the book, she specifies cups:

3 cups cruciferous/greens, which weigh 67g (kale) to 89g (cabbage) per cup. BUT in a note she says that you have to eat 2 cups of leafy greens to = one of these "cups".
1 cup onion/mushroom. Sliced onion weighs 115g per cup; mushrooms 70-85g per cup, raw measures.
1 cup each red, blue/black, and orange fruits and vegetables. When measuring cooked vegetables, 1/2 cup cooked = 1 cup.

1 tsp algae, spirulina, or chlorella counts as 1 cup of greens.

I'm going to try the smaller amounts based on cups. But I'll still weigh it because that keeps me honest....

anniekim

Ah, Madietodd I am confused now. So should we be eating 6 cups of greens, 3 cups of colourful veg and fruit and and 3 cups of sulphur vegetables (cabbage, onions etc)?

My confusion is I thought we were supposed to eat 3 cups of each three categories but your post suggests we should actually eat 6 cups of the greens? Presumably because the greens are lighter in weight?

Also I am still unsure as to how much seaweed I should eat each week. Should I be going for it once daily or once week and in what dose? Many thanks all. Reading Jdj posts on fb on how well she is doing has spurred me on to try the wahl'sdiet. I hate having no starch in the evening though so I may still have a small amount of potatoes or rice with myevening meal in line with the safe starches recommendation by paul jaminet of the perfect health diet. Think if Ido this I am more likely to give this approach a proper go

EDIT

I somehow missed your bit on how you are taking one teaspoon (I take it a small t is a teaspoon, sorry I'm a Brit and not familiar with this) daily of seaweed powder. It's just I remember a while back reading seaweed once a week but perhaps that's as a bigger portion or alternatively small amount daily. Thanks

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Seaweed or ocean fish is not an option for me. The Fukushima disaster is not over as some people think. In fact every day there are hundreds of thousands of gallons of highly radioactive waste being dumped into the ocean off the coast of Japan. ALL of the blue fin tuna recently caught off the coat of CA have tested positive for radiation. It's really scary.

If you eat fish, I think it's best to get it from an inland lake. As for seaweed, I wish they would begin growing it in tanks.

maddietod

Ah, Madietodd I am confused now. So should we be eating 6 cups of greens, 3 cups of colourful veg and fruit and and 3 cups of sulphur vegetables (cabbage, onions etc)?

My confusion is I thought we were supposed to eat 3 cups of each three categories but your post suggests we should actually eat 6 cups of the greens? Presumably because the greens are lighter in weight?

Also I am still unsure as to how much seaweed I should eat each week. Should I be going for it once daily or once week and in what dose? Many thanks all. Reading Jdj posts on fb on how well she is doing has spurred me on to try the wahl'sdiet. I hate having no starch in the evening though so I may still have a small amount of potatoes or rice with myevening meal in line with the safe starches recommendation by paul jaminet of the perfect health diet. Think if Ido this I am more likely to give this approach a proper go

EDIT

I somehow missed your bit on how you are taking one teaspoon (I take it a small t is a teaspoon, sorry I'm a Brit and not familiar with this) daily of seaweed powder. It's just I remember a while back reading seaweed once a week but perhaps that's as a bigger portion or alternatively small amount daily. Thanks

She says different things in different places, I think because she's offering a program for other people to follow, AND sharing what she does herself. Hopefully her new book will be clearer.

My translation of what she says is that if you got all of your cruciferous/dark leafy greens from the dark leafy greens, you would eat 6 cups. But in the book, page 179, she does not specify that you have to eat leafy greens. You could mix chopped cooked brussels sprouts and cauliflower, for example, and because they're cooked you would only 'have' to eat a cup and a half. But if you make coleslaw you would eat 3 cups because it's raw.

When I prepare food now, I put it right into 1-serving containers. Since I eat 2 servings of fruit a day, I mix a few pounds at a time and divide that into 2-serving portions. I'm keeping cooked mushrooms separate from cooked onions, since I add them to different foods.

Dreambirdie, Vitacost sells a pound of organic kelp from clean Icelandic water for under $13. Dreambirdie the Starwest Botanicals organic kelp for $4.50 is from Nova Scotia.