• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vote from Any Country for ME/FM Charity to Win $20,000!

View the Post on the Blog

by Sasha

Image by www.facebook.com/MEAwarenessPics

The first thing to say about this: you don’t need Facebook!

The second thing: you don’t have to be in Canada to vote!

The third thing... well, time to give you the details...

Nature’s Bounty, a long-established manufacturer of vitamins and food supplements, is running an online voting contest for Canadian charities. The National ME/FM Action Network has entered.

The Action Network is probably best-known internationally for spearheading the development of the Canadian Consensus Criteria.

It’s hard to overstate the importance of rigorous diagnostic criteria in this disease: we all owe the Action Network a debt for this contribution to diagnosis and research. The Network also hosted the 2011 IACFS/ME Conference in Ottawa. But as well as these international achievements, for the past twenty years the Action Network has supported patients through advocacy, education, information, and promoting research. It’s the main charity for the 750,000 people in Canada with ME or FM.

So it’s well worth supporting the Action Network in the contest. The top three winners will get $20,000, $10,000 and $5,000 respectively. Of the remaining charities, three will be chosen at random to each win $5,000. US dollars and Canadian dollars are worth the same: $20,000 is about £13,000 or 15,000 Euros. That would be a considerable boost to any national ME/FM charity.

Voting opens on Tuesday, 26 February, and continues with one vote allowed per day until Friday, 29 March.

At the time of writing, voting instructions have not appeared but if you go to the Nature's Bounty contest webpage, all should become clear on the day.

There’s a big push behind the Action Network for this contest: a team of supporters has already been posting widely on the net to drum up support. Let’s help them win.

Got any questions? We’ve got a thread for that! The competition looks straightforward but the first post in this thread will be updated with instructions and help if any problems emerge.

Have you heard about other contests? Many, many small prize contests are announced in local papers, on the radio, and so on. If you notice any, please message helen41 so that she and the fundraising team can look into them. Every dollar helps!
View the Post on the Blog

We have gone from more than 500 behind third last night to just a little over 300 behind now.
  • REACH FOR THE RAINBOW ONTARIO 9420
  • Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society 9085
  • MOUNTAINAIRE AVIAN RESCUE SOCIETY 5432
  • NATIONAL ME/FM ACTION NETWORK 5114
  • SENIOR ANIMALS IN NEED TODAY SOCIETY
Thats massive progress and judging by the new message on the site, they have spotted some irregular voting: Feel free to encourage your friends and family to vote, but please do not vote on behalf of any third party as we may disqualify such votes.

So, we should not assume that we are in third because for all we know one of the groups ahead of us in the top three may be docked points. There was certainly one day where some voting looked very odd with one of those groups...we will have to wait and see, but I'm just pointing out that it isnt over till its over, and the top 5 is really just a guide I think.
We can still get one of the top three prizes.

Just voted:

• REACH FOR THE RAINBOW ONTARIO10762
  • Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society10664
  • MOUNTAINAIRE AVIAN RESCUE SOCIETY6200
  • NATIONAL ME/FM ACTION NETWORK5716
  • SENIOR ANIMALS IN NEED TODAY SOCIETY4825

Still very much all to play for - time of day effects, the weekend coming up when many people will forget to vote (but not us!), maybe some dodgy votes to get cleaned out of the system before the end, all sorts of things - so let's keep going! This is a long game. :)

Interesting - we seem to be holding at 500 or so behind 3rd place but we've pulled further ahead of fifth place.

Let's overtake those birds this weekend!

• REACH FOR THE RAINBOW ONTARIO11620
  • Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society11532
  • MOUNTAINAIRE AVIAN RESCUE SOCIETY6618
  • NATIONAL ME/FM ACTION NETWORK6135
  • SENIOR ANIMALS IN NEED TODAY SOCIETY5040

• REACH FOR THE RAINBOW ONTARIO12758
  • Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society12205
  • MOUNTAINAIRE AVIAN RESCUE SOCIETY6822
  • NATIONAL ME/FM ACTION NETWORK6255
  • SENIOR ANIMALS IN NEED TODAY SOCIETY5173

We're still closing on third place, fifth place eating our dust now ...

:cat::cat::cat: Watch out, birdies...

• REACH FOR THE RAINBOW ONTARIO13013
  • Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society12525
  • MOUNTAINAIRE AVIAN RESCUE SOCIETY7034
  • NATIONAL ME/FM ACTION NETWORK6621
  • SENIOR ANIMALS IN NEED TODAY SOCIETY5256

• REACH FOR THE RAINBOW ONTARIO 14496
  • Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society 13564
  • MOUNTAINAIRE AVIAN RESCUE SOCIETY 7468
  • NATIONAL ME/FM ACTION NETWORK 6883
  • SENIOR ANIMALS IN NEED TODAY SOCIETY 5428

Just voted.

We're holding at a steady 500 or so votes behind third place which means they're not building their support - we can overtake them if we build ours just a bit! 19 more days to go, we just need 25 more daily voters, or us to be more persistent as their support falls off...