• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vote for Bio-medical research for ME

Battery Muncher

I've voted. I'm not sure what it's about either. I saw a post by eric suggesting he would welcome private investment in ME. And I have to say, I probably agree.

Having said that, I voted anyway.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Good question! I usually assume petitions in general have no influence.

However, I had heard of 38 degrees because a friend sent me a link to add my name to a petition about an environmental issue so the site itself may be moderately well known.

Battery Muncher

Ah Ok. Thanks for answering.

I too usually assume online petitions have no influence, so I was slightly relieved to hear you say that 38degrees may be moderately well known.

But, having said that, the UK government has now set up an official petition site. Is it worth our time to drum up support for 38 degrees? Or would it be more effective to set an attempt to reach the UK Gov through an official petition?

We could try get the wider ME/CFS community involved. It would be fantastic if we could get someone like Professor Hooper to do this.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I think there was a petition for biomedical research for ME on the govt's earlier official petition site. I think the deal was that if you got over a certain number of votes, you got a spot raising a question in the house.

I don't want to sound pessimistic but we've had petitions on this before (and I don't think petitions work in general, not just on ME issues) and we've had questions in the house before that just get fobbed off. I don't feel that they get us any progress.

Battery Muncher

Fair enough. I don't think that's pessimistic at all - if that's your experience, then it seems realistic rather than pessimistic. You clearly know more about this than me. I'm new to this advocacy biz, and still quite naive I'm afraid.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi Battery Muncher - I don't think I do know more than you! It's just my view but others might have had other experiences and feel differently about it. I wouldn't want to discourage people from trying stuff even though I might not join in - sometimes just doing something keeps people's hopes up, which is no bad thing.