• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

voice comes and goes

Shell

Does anyone else have problems swallowing (along with the usual sore throat) and loss of voice. My voice has been coming and going for weeks now and it's driving me nuts. If I have my voice and use it to read to the kids or talk for any length of time, it vanishes again.

Interestingly I was just in hospt after a mild infection caused seizures. I was given IV antibiotics with stopped the seizures (Thankfully) but also I had my voice back properly. But it started to play up again soon after I got home and now the anti-bios are done, my voice has gone again.

Any ideas?

Nielk

I don't know what that means but, I just want to welcome you to the forum.
Have you asked your doctor why you are losing your voice?

taniaaust1

When I was sicker.. I used to loose my voice too as a post exertional thing of just talking a little too much (and it didnt always take much to do). It used to weaken so it was more and more effort to get my voice to the same volume to be heard and then like burn out like the rest of my body can do, leaving me unable to speak at times.

I still find my voice can strain easily but nowdays it only happens if Im having to try to speak loudly for a while and is fine otherwise.

Interesting to hear that the IV antibiotics had your voice being better for a while

Shell

Hi thanks for the welcome and replies. I haven't been to my doc with this yet. Poor man is probably still reeling from sending me to cardio, lung spec and epilepsy clinic. LOL.

I think general burn out could be the reason. Although I can't see a pattern as such, it goes if I've spoken for more than a few minutes or if I've been doing jobs around the house.

In hospt I couldn't work out if the antibios helped or the fact I was alone (no kids, no phone calls) and so didn't have to talk much. And of course I was on bed rest.

I guess it's just more of the weird world of having ME and FM.

taniaaust1

In hospt I couldn't work out if the antibios helped or the fact I was alone (no kids, no phone calls) and so didn't have to talk much. And of course I was on bed rest.

Based on my own experiences of this symptom. It probably was then the bed rest and talking less then usual which helped then rather then the antibiotics. Hospital stays (even stressful ones) often seem to help me and my symptoms due to the extra rest.

jeffrez

Have you had your thyroid checked? If that gets inflamed/swollen it can impair swallowing and voice.