• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

VO2Max - exercise test

notmyself

like i said the vo2 max seems irrelevant..it matter only if we wanna train to beat Usain bolt..the real problem on his test is the low vo2 at AT..becuase of the low AT easier tasks will cause him to go over his AT and cause fatigue and pem afterwards.

In my case my AT is at 164 hr and 26 mil..no daily activity required so much oxigen..the only way to reach my AT is trough exercise..despite that i am always fatigued .is just something else that cause my fatigue..another mechanism. not the one behind ME/CFS..

Valentijn

The fact is that a maximum exercise test is exactly what it sounds like and it is really hard to reach VO2 max if you have ME and are not used to exercising at all!
No, it's not harder for an ME patient to reach their VO2max, though they will suffer for it afterward. VO2max occurs when exceeding a certain ratio of inhaled and exhaled gases. The more problems your body has coping with exercise, the less exercise you're doing to reach it.

An ME patient can reach the requisite RER or RQ just as "easily" as anyone else. Though a treadmill might be a problem due to OI and balance/coordination issues, and a stationary bicycle should definitely be used.

notmyself said:
your result are not bad, i'm guessing from your test ,that you are not very severe affected..but even if you have a reasonable vo2 max..the problem is the vo2 at AT.wich is little low for you...i have vo2 of 26 at AT.
No, a VO2max of 19.6 is quite bad for a male, and much worse than yours, especially since yours would have gone higher if you'd exerted maximal effort. Scores at aerobic threshold are less accurate in assessing impairment, compared to scores at VO2max.
like i said the vo2 max seems irrelevant..
Not really. It's the value used to document degree of disability, and distinguishes between deconditioning and a pathological process. In the two-day format, it may be diagnostic of ME/CFS.

Some milder patients will be normal or near-normal on the first day, but will show a significant drop in performance at VO2max on the 2nd day. That drop can also indicate pathology versus deconditioning, and may even be diagnostic of ME/CFS. But a single CPET is not diagnostic.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
No, it's not harder for an ME patient to reach their VO2max, though they will suffer for it afterward. VO2max occurs when exceeding a certain ratio of inhaled and exhaled gases. The more problems your body has coping with exercise, the less exercise you're doing to reach it..

An ME patient can reach the requisite RER or RQ just as "easily" as anyone else. Though a treadmill might be a problem due to OI and balance/coordination issues, and a stationary bicycle should definitely be used.

Okay, maybe I'm splitting hairs, but we agree that maximum exertion (VO2Max is after you've achieved max heart rate) is hard to achieve. I mean you literally exercise until you are about to pass out - that is how you know you've peaked.

notmyself

No, a VO2max of 19.6 is quite bad for a male, and much worse than yours, especially since yours would have gone higher if you'd exerted maximal effort. Scores at aerobic threshold are less accurate in assessing impairment, compared to scores at VO2max.

The vo2 max was 29 for the guy in the test..I really don t understand why the vo2 max is so important..because in daily activities we never need that much oxigen..from my point of view anaerobic threshold is much more relevant..the lower the AT the bigger the disability..just becuase humans cannot sustain activity for long periods once they reach AT

If you have a low AT, let say occuring at a vo2 of 10..That means some daily activities ( like walking faster ,or carrying something et and will require somwhere near that volume of o2) can actually make you go into anaerobic .and force you to stop dut to ventilation ,lactate etc..Going to many times into anaerobic will cause even healthy people to feel sick and fatigue the next days,this is why pem occur in my opinion..and this is why with diagnostic or not i don t have pem, cause my AT is high..If i indeed have ME i am very atypical..no Pem,high AT,no Pots or Oi, high lactate threshold..i miss major symptoms wich are pretty much seen in most..I do hav
Okay, maybe I'm splitting hairs, but we agree that maximum exertion (VO2Max is after you've achieved max heart rate) is hard to achieve. I mean you literally exercise until you are about to pass out - that is how you know you've peaked.

I ag
No, it's not harder for an ME patient to reach their VO2max, though they will suffer for it afterward. VO2max occurs when exceeding a certain ratio of inhaled and exhaled gases. The more problems your body has coping with exercise, the less exercise you're doing to reach it.

Not really. It's the value used to document degree of disability, and distinguishes between deconditioning and a pathological process. In the two-day format, it may be diagnostic of ME/CFS.

Some milder patients will be normal or near-normal on the first day, but will show a significant drop in performance at VO2max on the 2nd day. That drop can also indicate pathology versus deconditioning, and may even be diagnostic of ME/CFS. But a single CPET is not diagnostic.

yes i know a 2 days test will be much more conclusive..but this test is really expensive..i did however exort myself the day before the test..run till exhaustion and did plenty of push ups..a 12 min test doesn't exort me

hi valentin , you seem to know a lot about this,i saw another doctor today..i explain all this issues about CFS.,i show him my vo2 max test ,told him about mitochodria ,oxigen utilization and stuff..he examine me, and he concluded that i don t have any issues with mithocondria or energy production,my vo2 max test did not suggest much problem to him,saying that i just didint reach my maximum capacity that day, proved by my heart 20 beats below my max...my problem according to him is how i use the energy...i have a very high basal metabolic rate this for him meaning that energy production is not impaired..he also said that i have a lot of muscle tone and this indicate a good function of mitochondria..He found that all my muscle were tense up and hard, some even contracted without me even realising..

He say that this tension in the muscle is consuming lot of my energy..this combined with stress and worry is consuming all my energy..leaving me in a state of chronic exhaustion..

Does a high metabolic rate really indicates that the energy production is not impaired ??.?.i did find some articles about hypometabolism in fybromialgia and cfs..but nothing conclusive...I find it hard to trust doctors this days..one is saying to me one thing ,the other completelly someting else..