• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin D tests -- Bingo, you guys were right.

Gondwanaland

Izzy, your DH does not have this problem, but do you? Interestingly, I have had all of the symptoms she lists except the first two:
No. The only time I had my active vit D tested one year ago it was 49, while the other one was43 (after supplementation).

Well, almost all of those symptoms listed fit in metabolic acidosis as well o_O

Gondwanaland

Here is the stuff that made most sense to me re vit D:
http://drcarolyndean.com/2013/03/too-much-vitamin-d/
Taking high dose Vitamin D (anything above 2,000 IU) will also use up your magnesium because this mineral is required to change the supplemental/storage form of Vitamin D into active Vitamin D.
http://www.westonaprice.org/health-...oes-vitamin-a-cause-osteoporosis/#ainterfered
it could be that vitamin A acts as a modulator of vitamin D
http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/c...amins-a-and-k-testimonials-and-a-human-study/
vitamin A protects against vitamin D toxicity
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Lots of links to read further on Chris Masterjohn's work

picante

That's really helpful, izzy, because I haven't been taking vitamin A all these years with my D3, other than the negligible amount in my krill oil.

Gondwanaland

Apparently vit A can get toxic very quickly. I could only tolerate 10,000 IU1x weekly for 5 weeks in a row, then I got severely groggy in the last time I took it and my hairloss severely aggravated :grumpy:

But it helped immensely with sleep :sleep:

L'engle

moogle
@picante Yes, I meant in the context of over-conversion. A healthy person would add in vitamin d and calcium but this would not seem to be an option for those with high 1,25.

jess100

I just got my re-check results, so here's the comparison between January (after a month on the B12 oils with D3 in them) and now (no supplemental D since mid-January).

January 13:
Vit. D 25-Hydroxy 53.4 ng/mL [range 32-100]
Calcitriol 1,25 di-OH 103.1 pg/mL [range 10-75]

March 26:
Vit. D 25-Hydroxy 34.1 ng/mL [range 32-100]
Calcitriol 1,25 di-OH 61.2 pg/mL [range 10-75]

Even though I'm at the bottom of the range for 25-Hydroxy, I'm still closer to the top of the range for 1,25 di-hydroxy. But it is in range, at least!

And it's barely spring here. This is the first time I haven't taken D3 during the winter.

I just stumbled across your post-can you say why your numbers are still "good" in March if you haven't taken supplemental D? Were you still taking the oil with B12 and D3 ? I guess I didn't understand the background on this....If you are attributing the good numbers to the oils can you say what brand you're using?

Thanks