• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin D mega doses linked to early early waking?

I have been always low in vitamin d. And when I am low, my sleep cycle goes sideways (I am not sleepy at midnight). And when I am really low I have bone pain and wake up with my nails embedded in my palms. So since starting to read this site I started taking my vitamin d very regularly and big doses (2000 -7000 IU in the summer).

I noticed that I was waking at 4am (after going to sleep at 11pm or midnight) and then having to nap mid morning. It wasn't too bad but weird (I am usually a night owl). I was also waking up with a start and heart pounding with anxiety. So I read all the advice here and ate nuts before bed, I took my vitamin d in the morning, and something else that I can't remember (I do a bunch of things every day and cannot remember which things go with which problems). I wasn't waking up with a start but I was still waking up early (I was now waking up between 3-5am). So I tried antihistamines, for a reason I cannot remember now (probably a thread here somewhere). I would sleep until 8am but was groggy for the whole day.

Then something occurred to me, if sufficient vitamin d put me on a good sleep cycle maybe too much made me wake with the sun? So I cut back to 1000IU. And here I am waking up at 6:30-8am (usually 8 hours after bed time) and not requiring a morning nap.

So does anyone know of a study linking vitamin d to extremely early waking? Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how do you adjust your vitamin D higher as the winter approaches?

me/cfs 27931

So does anyone know of a study linking vitamin d to extremely early waking? Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how do you adjust your vitamin D higher as the winter approaches?

I take 5000 IU Vitamin D3 daily, and will take up to 20,000 IU for a few days for episodic mouth sores, facial sores, swollen lymph nodes, gum pain, etc. I do reduce or eliminate my Vitamin D intake if I've gotten sun exposure that day.

My last blood test 25(OH) was 75 ng/ml (normal range is 20-79 ng/ml). Reading these forums, I get the impression that I benefit more from Vitamin D than most.

I've never noticed any correlation between Vitamin D and sleep disruption.

I've only read about Vitamin D deficiency and interrupted sleep/daytime sleepiness. Never too much Vitamin D. For example, this paper suggests 60-80 ng/ml is optimal for sleep:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22583560

Recently, a small trial found 10,400 IU Vitamin D3 per day was safe and regulates immune response in relapse-remitting Multiple Sclerosis (I have relapse-remitting ME/CFS). No mention of sleep in the summary, but I don't have access to the full paper.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...l-Pilot-Trial-Suggests-High-Dose-Vitamin-D-is

Last edited: