• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin D deficiency advice..

Basilico

Florida
When you retest, you may want to consider getting both your 0.25 D levels checked (which is what you had done) and also your 1.25 D (active form) checked. Doctors typically only test the 0.25 levels and use that info as a proxy to assume what the active level is without testing the actual active level (I do not know why).

When I had mine checked a couple of years ago, my 0.25 D level was 33 but my 1.25 active D level was through the roof - three times the upper limit. For a while I was concerned that I had Sarcoidosis, because my doctor couldn't explain why it was so high. It eventually normalized, and I'm left thinking that it was some kind of sign of an underlying infection.

I happen to live in Florida and am in the sun pretty much every day and am tan all year round (except for part of the summer when the sun is too strong, then I'm usually only in the sun for a few minutes/day). I have a strong suspicion that the 0.25 tests are completely pointless. This is not to say that if you have a true deficiency, supplementing can't help, but you might want to confirm that you actually are deficient.

Vitamin D is actually a hormone (not a vitamin) and I've heard of many people on this board not tolerating it at all or in high doses. The good thing about producing it yourself from the sun is that our bodies have an automatic 'shut-off' function once we've manufactured enough. It could be that the dose you're taking is just too high for you.

duncan

When I had mine checked a couple of years ago, my 0.25 D level was 33 but my 1.25 active D level was through the roof - three times the upper limit

This is supposedly not unusual in Lyme. i.e. low OH 25 D, high 1,25 D.

Conventional wisdom is that low Vitamin D results in an increased susceptibility to infections. The logic there may be inverted in some cases.

Bansaw

-any other Vitamin D advice or stories welcome!
Thanks
One doctor gave me a very high IU value vitamin D, and my other doctor was horrified and said, "no, dont take that, you need emulsified becuase that absorbs better." So she put me onto a Vitamin D emulsified and I got retested a couple of months later and my Vit D level was well up to above normal , so that worked for me.
Heres what I used:
https://www.amazon.com/Biotics-Rese...d=1491329245&sr=8-1&keywords=vit+d+emulsified

outdamnspot

My Vit D levels have tested consistently low since my CFS worsened dramatically a year ago. I struggled to tolerate supplementation, and ended up feeling significantly better from sitting in the sun 15-30 minutes a day; but now Summer is over here in Australia and I have noticed my mood/cognition deteriorating, and am wondering if the lack of sun exposure is implicated.

Has anyone with a deficiency who struggled to supplement tried just taking a large dose once a week? I've been considering trying this.

Also, what's the deal with Magnesium and Vit D? I struggle to tolerate Magnesium supplementation as well, so will that affect how I utilize Vit D?

Hi All,

I've just had some blood test results back and my doctor has flagged that my vitamin D levels are extremely low, 26nmol/L (healthy range 75-200). I have not been tested for Vit D levels before.

I have reason to believe 26nmol/L is probably much higher than my average over the last few years as I have spent a fair amount of time in the sun in the weeks prior to this test.

My Doctor has prescribed 90 days of 3,200IU capsules, then re-test.

-I am not well versed in what Vitamin D actually does, but I have been suffering with a variety of cognitive and mood symptoms (*including severe fatigue, but do not think I actually have CFS).. I'm interested in information and personal experiences of benefits (if any) I can expect to see by correcting my vitamin D levels?

- Having started the supplements 2 days ago, I have had extremely intense nightmares each night. Is this normal, and any tips on avoiding!?

-I seem to feel very on-edge and anhedonic shortly after taking them, it makes it impossible to relax. It seems to take most of the day to gradually decrease to a manageable level... again any advice welcome to reduce this!

-any other Vitamin D advice or stories welcome!

Thanks

About 10 years ago, I first got symptoms of CFS. Like everyone else I went to the doctors and was tested for everything they could think of. In the end they could not find anything to pin point the problem and so diagnosed me as having CFS and I was told to go home as there was nothing they could do for me. After 3 years I did recover and for the last 7 years everything has been fine.

3 months ago I caught a virus and your guested it the CFS symptoms returned with a vengeance. Again I went to the doctors and again they tested me for everything they could think of, only this time they introduced a test for Vitamin D.

When they results came back I was proclaimed perfectly healthy apart from a Vitamin D level of 21. I was told this was very low.

The doctor was quiet enlightened and had taken an interest is the research into Vitamin D. She proscribed for me 40,000iu Vitamin D to be taken once a week for an 8 week period.

The day after I took my first dose I found I could walk again. I am now 3 weeks into the course and I feel like I could climb mount Everest.

I would highly recommend everyone to at least try taking a high dose of Vitamin D, it can not harm you, but it might significantly help. At least 3,000iu a day.

If you want to know a little more about Vitamin D, watch Michael Holick's lecture on YouTube. This man really knows what he is talking about.

My cure has been nothing but remarkable and I wanted to share this with you. I hope it works for you.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I would highly recommend everyone to at least try taking a high dose of Vitamin D, it can not harm you, but it might significantly help. At least 3,000iu a day.

High doses of Vitamin D can harm you. It is rare, but quite harmful.

The 3,000iu a day you're suggesting isn't a high dose though, and I can give anecdotal confirmation that Vitamin D through sun exposure has improved my health. It's winter now though, so I really appreciate the links you've provided. It's almost time for me to try supplements.

Here is a good overview with several links to research into this issue.

How Much Vitamin D is Too Much? The Surprising Truth
Vitamin D toxicity is extremely rare, but does occur with extreme doses. It usually develops over time, since extra vitamin D can build up in the body. Nearly all vitamin D overdoses result from taking high amounts of vitamin D supplements.

It is almost impossible to get too much vitamin D from sunlight or food.

Last edited: