• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin C and B12

I am wondering if taking high amounts of the AdenB12 and MethylB12 causes you to deplete Vitamin C?
(i have a bad cold)
I thought maybe having high B12 might move the citric acid cycle to fast and thus deplete Vitamin C.. not sure?..

Thanks.

J.

SJB944

Not sure. But taking more vitamin C for a cold has often been beneficial to me -- I generally take to bowel tolerance.

caledonia

Actually it's supposed to be the other way around - too much Vit C. depletes/destroys B12.

This is from Ben Lynch:
Vitamin C and Methylcobalamin Interaction: When taking methylcobalamin, it is necessary to not exceed ingesting 450 mg of vitamin C concurrently. This is due to the destruction of methylcobalamin when in the presence of more than 500 mg of vitamin C.

If you want to take more than 450mg Vit. C, then take it some time (a couple hours?) before or after taking B12.

Freddd

I am wondering if taking high amounts of the AdenB12 and MethylB12 causes you to deplete Vitamin C?
(i have a bad cold)
I thought maybe having high B12 might move the citric acid cycle to fast and thus deplete Vitamin C.. not sure?..

Thanks.

J.

Vitamin C has nothing to do with the citric acid cycle. Vitamin C is ascorbic acid. The citric acid cycle is also known as the Krebs cycle. No amount of cobalamin cause vit C depletion though if in the stomach vit C and potassium can block b12 absorption and folate absorption from the stomach and intestines. Personally I followed Paulings advice and kept increasing it to intestinal tolerance , 16 grams for years. Since Deadlock Quartet healing I have found 6 gr a day satisfactory.