• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin B questions. What order to start them?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I decided to start taking B's after reading some stuff about B2 deficiency and how B's help adrenals.

I did try methylation but never had any luck and it was too complicated. My brain cannot compute it.

I've read 2 threads here, one raving about B2, the other saying not so much. I get the ups and downs, issues with potassium and ammonia etc for the most part.

I already take 500 mgs B5. I ordered coenzymated B2 18 mgs, P-5-P 50 mgs and B1 100 mgs tablets so I can split them. I have Niacinmide 100 mgs (i think with flush). I have started 1000 mcg MB12 and I have Solgar Metafolin which I'll add at some point.

My plan is to start on very low doses adding them one at a time, just to try to get a "B complex"

What I don't know is which one to start first and what to add next etc, and when, mornings?. I know they all help each other work better.

Can I just get a simple dumbed down where to start? I have @Kimsie dosage recommendations from a few years ago. Anyone else @Violeta @Mary

Thanks, please tag me since I will forget I started this.

Aerose91

What I can tell you is i take B-Minus from Seeking health. My doctor is very current with methylation and she recommended taking 1 a day. I take it with breakfast because my train of thought is that any nutritional supplement should be taken with food since that's when you would be taking in all the cofactors as well.
Sometimes the niacin in in does give me a flush but a little mb12 clears it up right away. I started the B-Minus about what weeks before methylation supp.s

Hope this helps.

Gondwanaland

Please remember that one of the main effects of B vitamins is creating new blood cells. You will need lots of minerals - iron, copper, magnesium, potassium, sodium. Since you already take lots of B5 (which mainly works on calcium metabolism), I have read that Biotin is needed to balance that. I also read that all of them work together, and increasing one might cause a deficiency in another. So I would add each one not longer than 2 -3 days apart.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Gondwanaland I take a mineral complex and I have plenty of potassium on hand . Someone commented on another thread about B2 about not wanting biotin. There were some other comments about one of the B's releasing iron. I have to reread then.

I was planning on pretty low doses and add a new one every other day or so.

@Aerose91 thanks. I'm trying to make my own b complex. Too much stuff in them I may not want and the smell and taste gag me.

I had the flush from niacin but it wasn't horrible. And since I take MB12 before that I'm not sure. Did you know niacin stops methylation? I had a bad reaction becuase my balance was off so kept taking niacin until I was ok.

I see my NP in October so I'll check with Her then.

Aerose91

@Gondwanaland I take a mineral complex and I have plenty of potassium on hand . Someone commented on another thread about B2 about not wanting biotin. There were some other comments about one of the B's releasing iron. I have to reread then.

I was planning on pretty low doses and add a new one every other day or so.

@Aerose91 thanks. I'm trying to make my own b complex. Too much stuff in them I may not want and the smell and taste gag me.

I had the flush from niacin but it wasn't horrible. And since I take MB12 before that I'm not sure. Did you know niacin stops methylation? I had a bad reaction becuase my balance was off so kept taking niacin until I was ok.

I see my NP in October so I'll check with Her then.

Yes, I have some niacin on hand for when I overmethylate. I take an extra mg or 2 of mb12 when the dose comes after the b-minus

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
If I take too much mb12 I have huge problems. I can't remember if I cried all the time or was raging angry. Either is not fun.

PeterPositive

I think it's best taking B vitamins in the first part of the day and avoid them at evening/night.

About P5P, I'd suggest starting low at 5mg which is already 2-3 times the RDA. Starting at 50mg is way too high for my tastes, and for sensitive people is not a good idea, imo.

Good luck

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@PeterPositive i bought tablets so it would be easier to split vs messing with capsules.

I also bought the lowest possible doses.

I had some B6 but the P5p instead. I can try to 1/8 a tablet. I have no idea how I'll respond to any of this.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Well I'm not cured! Lol

Rough morning from the minute I woke so hard to tell what is up. I took 1/4 of B2 right after breakfast.

Tinge of nausea and headache but I've been having headaches from TMJ and neck so who knows.

Tomorrow I'll add another low dose of something else. Eenie meenie miney moe. Which one will it be?