• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

vit d and B12 are high

HI,

I am new on this forum, and I see there are a lots of knowledgeable people here. I recently got my 23andme result with this outcome: ( I dont have MTHFR)
Here are your homozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):
BHMT-02
Here are your heterozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):
VDR Bsm
VDR Taq
MAO-A R297R
MTRR A66G
BHMT-08

All I have read about MTRR and VDR relates to higher need for Vit D and B12, however my recent results show Vit d be at 152 (twice over the upper range) and B12 just over the upper range. How could I supplement these if I already have more? For B12 I have figured so far could be that I had no lithium (0.001) and already supplementing it. hopefully it will show so improvement in B12 level before supplementing it. I am still not sure which type i will need to take, as i have ready BHMT can cause CBS upregulation. I also read that for BHMT I should take betaine, and was suggested in one of the reports I got for free on web. I did start taking HLC+ pepsin but gave me bad stomach pains. On my recent HTMA it shows I am high but well within range for lead and mercury. Any advice would be appreciated what to do next? I am already on clean diet. Many thanks

Valentijn

MTRR mutations only have a substantial impact if they are homozygous or compound heterozygous. So MTRR A66G +/- shouldn't be of any concern.

VDR Bsm/Taq (they're the same thing, basically), have a very minor impact even when homozygous.

There's no research indicating that BHMT-02 ever has any impact at all, so there's no point in trying to treat something that isn't a problem.

PeterPositive

@Gyon supplementing B12 with a high serum value is of no concern. However you should just see if the supplements really provide any benefits or not.

Vitamin D is another business as too much can be toxic. Your level is not in the toxic range but you certainly don't need more, so stop the supplements if you're taking any.

Cheers

TheChosenOne

I also read that for BHMT I should take betaine, and was suggested in one of the reports I got for free on web. I did start taking HLC+ pepsin but gave me bad stomach pains. On my recent HTMA it shows I am high but well within range for lead and mercury.
You can take TMG, which is a form of betaine. If you don't want to take a supplement, you can eat things that are high is phosphatidylcholine, like lecithin. Your body will convert it to betaine.
A hair test for heavy metals will only show high mercury if you body can get rid of it, because mercury 'settles down' in your tissues. What you need is a hair test that measures essential minerals to see if there is a deranged mineral transport.
How do you measure your lithium levels?