• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vision Therapy neuro-optometry....concussions etc

xrayspex

Hi--have any of you been evaluated by a behavioral or neuro optometrist regarding possible need for Vision Therapy? If you google around you can find a lot of information about it---it is big with concussed folks and kids with learning issues etc

I just had another concussion and am just learning about vision therapy but am very intrigued about it. It is an angle of treatment worth exploring if you have had concussions or suspect something off with your vision beyond the regular eye exam parameters.

xrayspex

I would love to hear any yay or nay experiences or advice about it. I am getting ready to give it a go--I had a false start with it when I had to wait to get over some flash lights and floaters first---when you are older and with complicated health issues need to take everything in smaller steps than usual even eye exercises as I learned.

here is some info:

Concussion Corner Podcast XVIII Dr Neera Kapoor OD Role of Neuro-Optometry in Concussion Management

http://adventuresinbraininjury.com/podcast-03/

Severe traumatic brain injury survivor Cavin Balaster and co-host Alek Hess interview award winning vision therapist Robert Nurisio to discuss his career in vision therapy and his work with brain injury patients.

---
some people take their children with learning issues or autism so it isn't just for concussion

Moof

Fingers crossed it goes well!

I use Irlen lenses (I'm autistic), which do help with reading; I also use a free screen tint the same colour as my reading glasses, which helps a lot with using the computer. I don't think I could cope with the intensive training involved in some of the vision therapy exercises, though, as my eye muscles are too weak.

I've never been concussed or had a brain injury, so I don't know whether Irlen testing could help with your visual problems. Mine stem from difficulty coping with the stark contrast between the white page and dark type.