• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Viral transmission from saliva

joe12

Yesterday I had an accident, I got saliva from a homeless man into my eye, he was speaking and a drop got into my left eye. He looked like a drug user, possibly infected with hiv or hepatitis. I am feeling very ill, weakness, itching in my eyes, general malaise. I guess this is from some kind of virus. What is the risk of hepatitis transmission in this manner? What other diseases should I be concerned about? I cannot find the statistics.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Although I'm no expert, I kind of doubt that you would be so ill so quickly from a drop of saliva. If you're worried go to a doc and get HIV tested. They could probably tell you what else to look out for and what other testing you need and when.

You're so freaked out, you're feeling sick could be a stress reaction, as in psychosomatic. Or a reaction to the accident.

joe12

Although I'm no expert, I kind of doubt that you would be so ill so quickly from a drop of saliva. If you're worried go to a doc and get HIV tested. They could probably tell you what else to look out for and what other testing you need and when.

You're so freaked out, you're feeling sick could be a stress reaction, as in psychosomatic. Or a reaction to the accident.
My body is hypersensitive to any kind of viral infection, I have tested this time after time, there is a problem with the control in my immune inflammatory reaction, likely the cause of my chronic facial pain, vitreous syneresis, and general weakness. Nothing psychosomatic about it.