• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Viral Tests in Canada?

Sparrow

Hi all,

I need your help.

Does anybody know where a Canadian can get our standard set of viral testing done (HHV-6, EBV, etc.), or which U.S. labs do these tests and might accept samples sent in from Canada (or even which different labs in the U.S. will do this. I can have my husband call to check whether they'll ship to us if you can provide possibilities)?

As I understand it, not all of those tests may be available from Canadian labs, and that's fine. I have a doctor willing to order them from the U.S. if needed, but we've been having trouble finding a US lab to get them from. A couple possibilities we called will only do U.S. patients. Focus Diagnostics was willing, but requires some sort of registration, etc. that my doctor is having some issues with (she's not 100% on board with doing the testing on the first place, so I suspect that she may be making a bigger issue of it than it needs to be, but what can I do?). I figured if anybody knows of good alternatives, it would be you folks.

I'm quite badly off (totally bedbound) right now and don't travel well, so I can't currently make the trip to Detroit to see Lerner, or go anywhere else in the U.S. to see a different doctor. Have crashed pretty badly from much shorter drives than that and just don't have the room to spare right now.

Have any Canadians had viral testing done, and if so, from where? Alternately, if anyone knows of a doctor in Ontario who will arrange or perform that type of testing, that would be great information too.

Thanks so much for your help!

globalpilot

Hi,
I am in canada and have been tested for HHV6, CMV here in Canada through Public Health. I can scan you a copy of my test results if you want. I am pretty sure these were tested using the same techniques listed on Dr Montanyas stanford site.

http://chronicfatigue.stanford.edu/infections/herpes.html

I also got the HHV6 test done here but it wasn't the right test. I then went through a lab called 'anylabtestnow' that is in Florida and it was sent to Focus labs. Would focus allow you to have the blood drawn in canada and sent to them ?

And today I read that Lyme testing done properly according ot Byron Hyde is available in Canada. i dont know where yet. I go to him in january and will hopefully know then.

I haven't investigated the others yet like measles, rubella.

GP

Sparrow

If you could let me know which lab was used for the tests you had, that would be fantastic. Thanks!

globalpilot

For the EBV and CMV it was tested through public health so I just went to one of the local labs - MDS now called lifelabs.

For teh focus test I happened to be in florida so went into one of those walk in labs that doesn't require a doctors script - 'anylabtestnow'. I would ask focus though if you can get blood drawn in canada and send it there.

If you could let me know which lab was used for the tests you had, that would be fantastic. Thanks!